Dear Ohlone Family,
As many of you are taking care at home this weekend to reduce the transmission of the COVID-19 virus in your respective communities, I write to you from my own home and hope you receive this message. This morning, Governor Gavin Newsom spoke to us all giving guidance on measures necessary to take in order to stop the spread of COVID-19. We take his words to heart and want to ensure that our college community can be a part of the solution.
The College has made the decision to close all operations for the next two weeks in order to protect our community and to continue keeping everyone healthy. We are relieved to say that we have no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at Ohlone College and we intend do our utmost to keep it that way.
What does that mean for you?
- Beginning Monday March 16, 2020, the campus is officially closed to the public, all students, and employees.
- We ask that only College management and administrative officials come to the campus.
- Some essential employees will be asked to come in tomorrow, but all other faculty and staff should not come to campus and should await further direction and guidance from their Deans and Directors as to next steps.
- Students should not be on campus (*See guidance below).
- Scheduled in-person training sessions for faculty will be rescheduled to meet remotely.
- The Fremont Campus and Newark Center will be closed.
- All face-to-face (in person) instruction is suspended from now through March 29th.
- There are NO changes to courses that are already taught online. Online classes are ongoing.
- Remote instruction may begin as soon as the course is ready on or before March 30th.
- Students will be contacted by their instructors as to the status of each of their courses and how to navigate coursework remotely.
Communication to Students:
- Students are urged to check their email and the website regularly for the latest updates.
- Faculty will contact students to provide updates and information regarding classes and coursework.
Events and Athletics:
- All on-campus events during this period of time will be canceled. Other events outside of this time period will be either canceled or postponed, while others are yet TBD.
- All sporting events are suspended for the season per the directive from the California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA).
COVID-19 Website and Email: The College has created a webpage for information and updates surrounding COVID-19 as it relates to Ohlone College. Please refer to https://www.ohlone.edu/information-corona-virus and send us an email with further questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I know that this has been a stressful time for all of you, your family members, and friends near and far. I hope each and every one of you will continue to take care of yourself, your family, and your communities. Please let us know how we can be supportive as we move through this challenging period.
Rest assured, together we will get through this.
Gari Browning, Ph.D.
Ohlone Community College District
43600 Mission Blvd.
Fremont, CA 94539-5847