Everyone is capable of learning. The program strives to prepare students to:
- be effective citizens in society;
- broaden their multicultural understanding and perspectives; and
- find direction and improve the quality of their lives.
Furthermore, the program fosters cross discipline learning and increased opportunities for student success through a variety of educational experiences. The program values educational research and incorporates best practices into instruction.
The mission of the Basic Skills Program is to serve the community by offering a comprehensive academic program including placement, orientation, counseling, instruction, life skills strategies, career planning, and college preparation in an environment where student success is highly valued and supported.
Student Learning Outcomes and Assessment
- Basic Skills Funds Request Form (DOC)
- Basic Skills Professional Development Activity Sign-in Form (PDF)
- 2015-2016 Basic Skills Allocation Report (PDF)
- Basic Skills Report 2013-2014 (PDF)
- Basic Skills 5-year Long-Term Goals (PDF) (created September 2012)
- Basic Skills Action Plan 2012-2013 (PDF)
- Basic Skills Report 2011-2012 (PDF)
- Basic Skills Action Plan & Report 2011-2012 (PDF)
- Basic Skills Action Plan 2010-2011 (PDF)
- Basic Skills Action Plan 2009-2010 (PDF)
- Ohlone Data Source: Basic Skills by the Ohlone College Research Office
The State Basic Skills Initiative website provides detailed information on the Basic Skills Initiative. The Resources and Publications sections of that website provide useful documents and tools.
- State Basic Skills website: