- Reference: Education Code Section 87045
The District has established a catastrophic leave program to permit employees of the district to donate eligible leave credits to an employee when that employee or a family member of his or her family suffers from a catastrophic illness or injury.
For the purposes of this procedure, the following terms are defined as follows:
- "Catastrophic illness" or "injury" means an illness or injury that is expected to incapacitate the employee for an extended period of time, or that incapacitates a member of the employee's family requiring the employee to take time off from work for an extended period of time to care for that family member, and taking extended time off work creates a financial hardship for the employee because he or she has exhausted all of his or her sick leave and other paid time off.
- "Eligible leave credits" means vacation leave and sick leave accrued to the donating employee.
Eligible leave credits may be donated to an employee for a catastrophic illness or injury if all of the following requirements are met:
- The employee who is, or whose family member is, suffering from a catastrophic illness or injury requests that eligible leave credits be donated and provides verification of catastrophic injury or illness.
- The Associate Vice President of Human Resources determines that the employee is unable to work due to the employee's or his or her family member's catastrophic illness or injury.
- The employee has exhausted all accrued paid leave credits. If the transfer of eligible leave credits is approved, any employee may, upon written notice, donate eligible leave credits at a minimum of eight hours, and in one-hour increments thereafter.
The maximum amount of time for which donated leave credits may be used shall not exceed 12 consecutive contractual months.
Verification of catastrophic injury or illness shall be required.
An employee who receives paid leave pursuant to this procedure shall use any leave credits that he or she continues to accrue on a monthly basis prior to receiving such leave.
Unused leave credits will be returned to the leave balances of the employees who donated leave credits on a pro-rated basis.
Adopted: October 2009