- Reference: Government Code Section 3547
Whenever an initial collective bargaining proposal is received from an exclusive representative of District employees, or whenever the District's own negotiator presents an initial proposal, the following actions must be taken at public meetings of the Board of Trustees:
- The exclusive representative or the District must present the initial collective bargaining proposal orally or in writing to the Board at a public meeting.
- The public shall have an opportunity to respond to the exclusive representative's or District's initial proposal at a subsequent public Board meeting. The opportunity for public response shall appear on the Board's regular agenda. Public response shall be taken in accordance with the Board's policies regarding speakers.
- After the public has an opportunity to respond to an initial proposal presented by the District, the Board shall, at the same meeting or a subsequent meeting, adopt the District's initial proposal. The adoption shall be indicated as a separate action item on the Board agenda. There shall be no amendment of the District's initial proposal unless the public is again afforded a reasonable opportunity to respond to the proposed amendment at a public meeting.
- If new subjects of meeting and negotiating arise after the presentation of initial proposals, the following procedure shall be followed: all new subjects of meeting and negotiating, whether proposed by the exclusive representative or the District, shall be posted by the District in the same public place as it posts its agendas within 24 hours after their presentation in negotiations.
- When a request to reopen a collective bargaining agreement, as required by the agreement, is received from an exclusive representative or is made by the District, the public notice procedure outlined in this procedure shall be followed.
- When the District and the exclusive representative agree to amend an executed collective bargaining agreement in accordance with the agreement, the following procedure shall be followed:
- The amendment shall appear on the agenda as a notice item, for action at a subsequent Board meeting.
- The public shall have an opportunity to respond to the amendment at a subsequent Board meeting. The public response shall be indicated on the agenda.
Adopted: May 2012