AP 5010 Admissions - Administrative Procedures, Chapter 5 Student Services

  • Reference: Education Code Section 76000; U.S. Department of Education regulations on the Integrity of Federal Student Financial Aid Programs under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended; 34 Code of Federal Regulations Section 668.16(p)

The governing board of Ohlone College shall admit to the community college any California resident, and may admit any nonresident possessing a high school diploma who passed the California High School Proficiency or GED examination, who is over 18 years of age and capable of profiting from further education or who is transferring to another college and meets Ohlone College's academic standards.

In general, to qualify for admission a person must:

  1. Graduate from high school, or
  2. Be an accelerated high school student with special approval from the school principal, or
  3. Be over 18 years of age and deemed capable of profiting from the instructional program.

The Vice President, Student Services or designee is be responsible for evaluating the validity of a student's high school completion if the college or the United States Department of Education has reason to believe that the high school diploma is not valid or was not obtained from an entity that provides secondary school education.

For further details on nonresident students that include a determination of residency status see Board Policy and Administrative Procedure 5015, Residence Determination. The Office of Admissions and Records is designated as the processing point for admissions and supplies further details and forms.

Adopted: October 2013