- Reference: Education Code Section 72023.5
- Board Approved: 04/13/05
- Amended: 05/11/05, 02/22/06, 05/10/06, 02/11/09, 03/09/11, 08/08/12
The Board shall include one non-voting student member. The term of office shall be one year commencing May 15.
The student member shall be enrolled in and maintain a minimum of five (5) semesterunits in the District at the time of nomination and throughout the term of service. The student member is not required to give up employment with the district. The student shall maintain the minimum standards of scholarship.
The student member shall be seated with the Board and shall be recognized as a full member of the Board at meetings. The student member is entitled to participate in discussion of issues and receive all materials presented to members of the Board (except for closed session). The student member shall be entitled to any mileage allowance necessary to attend board meetings to the same extent as publicly elected trustees.
On or before May 15 of each year, the Board shall consider whether to afford the student member any of the following privileges:
- The privilege to make and second motions;
- The privilege to attend closed sessions, other than closed sessions on personnel or collective bargaining matters;
- The privilege to receive compensation for meeting attendance at a level equivalent to the elected trustees. See BP 2725;
- The privilege to serve a term commencing on May 15;
- The privilege to cast an advisory vote, although the vote shall not be included in determining the vote required to carry any measure before the Board.