- Reference: Education Code Section 72000
- Board Approved: 04/13/05
- Amended: 03/11/09
At the annual organizational meeting, the Board shall elect from among its members a President and Vice President of the Board. The Board shall designate the President/ Superintendent as Secretary of the Board. For all purposes other than the election of officers, the Board President and Vice President shall be referred to as Board Chair and Vice Chair.
The terms of officers shall be for one year.
The duties of the President of the Board are:
- Preside over all meetings of the Board;
- Call emergency and special meetings of the Board as required by law;
- Consult with the President/Superintendent on Board meeting agendas;
- Communicate with individual Board members about their responsibilities;
- Participate in the orientation process for new Board members;
- Assure Board compliance with policies on Board education, self-evaluation and President/Superintendent evaluation;
- Represent the Board at official events or ensure board representation.
The duties of the Vice President of the Board are:
- Perform the duties of the Board President in the President's absence;
- Attend the agenda planning meeting with the Board Chair and President.
The duties of the Secretary are:
- Notify members of the Board of regular, special, emergency and adjourned meetings;
- Prepare and post board meeting agendas;
- Have prepared for adoption minutes of board meetings;
- Conduct the official correspondence of the Board;
- Certify as legally required all board actions;
- Sign, when authorized by law or by board action, any documents that would otherwise require the signature of the Secretary or the Clerk of the Board.
The Board does not have an official system of rotation of officers; it elects the officers each year from among all its members.