CalWORKs Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Extended Opportunity Programs and Services

Q. What is CalWORKs?

California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids (CalWORKs) is the state's welfare program for families with children. CalWORKs replaced the former AFDC program in January 1998.

CalWORKs funds assist single parents who are receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF), and those in transitions off welfare, to achieve long-term self-sufficiency through coordinated student services.

Q. What can the CalWORKs Program at Ohlone College do for me?

The CalWORKs Program supports eligible students to obtain their educational degrees and certificates and is available to help students meet their Department of Social Services requirements quickly and effectively by providing the following services:

  • Educational training programs.
  • Work Study assignment paid jobs that don't affect cash assistance.
  • Communication between the Department of Public Social Service (DPSS) about student's needs, requests and requirements.
  • Helpful information on welfare reform and government requirements.
  • Referrals to other departments on campus such as:
    • Disabled Services (DSPS)
    • Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)
    • CARE
    • TANF-CDC

Q. How can I find out if I qualify for CalWORKs?

If you are a low income California resident with at least one child under the age of 19, you can go to the local DSPS office and fill out an application.

Persons with drug related felony convictions since January 1, 1998 are NOT ELIGIBLE for CalWORKS.