Campus Police Regulations - Campus Police Services / Safety and Security

Ohlone College Police Patch.

Reporting and Response Systems

The Procedures Manual contains the rules and regulations that govern the conduct of Campus Police Services (CPS) personnel and enforcement procedure of the Ohlone Community College District. It is the responsibility of the Chief of the Campus Police Services to maintain the Procedures Manual and communicate additions and deletions to employees.

An operational Memorandum of Understanding with the Fremont Police Department and Newark Police Department - which includes records, patrol, investigative, communications, and incarceration support - is maintained at the CPS Office. The Fremont Police or Newark Police will be called for assistance in any instance where a major crime has been committed or for an auto accident in which there are visible injuries or complaint of pain and the complaining party is transported to the hospital via ambulance.

Security of Facilities

Unauthorized persons are not allowed into buildings which are secured for evenings, weekends, and holidays. If an individual needs to gain entry into a building, CPS personnel must first check that person's identification (unless the person is known). An entry is then made in the activity log, stating the building, time, date, and name of the person allowed into that building.

CPS has the authority to request Facilities staff to respond to situations that present a threat to the public safety and/or liability of the District.

Authority for Law Enforcement

Campus Police Officers are granted authority to act as Police Officers by 830.32(a) of the Penal Code and 72330 of the Education Code. Campus Security Officers act as non-sworn officers only and do not have police powers. They take crime reports and reports of minor auto accidents, write parking citations, patrol the campus (on foot and in vehicles), and observe and report any unusual conditions or circumstances.

All officers working on campus (sworn and non-sworn) are required by law to attend the 832.2 P.C. School Peace Officers course or School Security Guard Course as required by the Peace Officer Standards and Training and the Department of Consumer Affairs.

Equipment and trained personnel shall be maintained to accomplish the CPS' assigned responsibility of protecting facilities owned, operated, or under the control of the Ohlone Community College District.

Crime Prevention and Safety Education

CPS distributes crime prevention material to the college community. They make inspections of facilities to ensure physical security; design and present programs to reduce risk from criminal acts; make preventative patrols of grounds; make necessary arrests and detentions; and interact with all other law enforcement and investigative agencies.

Crime prevention and safety information such as Preventing Sexual Assault, Escort Officer Service, Earthquake Procedures, Parking Rules and Regulations include safety tips and are provided by CPS. Material includes how to call Campus Police for emergencies and how to report crimes. This information is available to students upon request during registration for Fall and Spring Semesters and Summer Term, as well as available online at CPS: Safety Tips and at various locations at the college. Awareness information for rape, sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence are available from CPS and the Student Health Center.

Campus Police also use video surveillance cameras to aid and assist them with their daily duties.

Crime and Arrest Information

Records of crime on each campus and crime data are available upon request at the CPS Office in Building 20 on the Fremont campus and Room NC1001 at the Newark campus. The crime data is available annually in the Annual Campus Security Report which can be obtained on paper at CPS Office and is posted online. See Student Right to Know: Campus Safety Information.

Megan's Law: Information on Registered Sex Offenders


California Penal Code Section 290.01 requires a registered sex offender to register with the Campus Police Department of a college or university within five (5) days when he/she is:

  1. Enrolled as a full-time student.
  2. Enrolled as a part-time student.
  3. Employed as a full-time staff, faculty, or instructor.
  4. Employed as a part-time staff, faculty, or instructor.
  5. Employed as a full-time or part-time classified employee.
  6. Providing services as a volunteer.
  7. A contractor who is contracted by the College or University to work on campus.
  8. A carrier cdriver who delivers to that College or University more than 14 consecutive days or 30 days in a calendar year (i.e., water delivery; mail; VTA drivers; Outreach drivers; armored car drivers; telephone, gas, and electricity technicians; computer technicians, office supply drivers, and others).

This section does not relieve the requiremenbt that the person register as a Sex Offender with the jurisdiction where he/she is residing. The registrations as a Sex Offender with a College or University Police Departments are in addition to the registration with the local police and sherriff's departments.

The database of registered sex offenders may be searched on the Megan's Law website. Once the disclaimer on the Megan's Law website has been read and acknowledged, the database may be searched by a sex offender's specific name, obtain ZIP Code and city or county listings, obtain detailed personal profile information on each registrant, and use the map application to search a neighborhood or anywhere throughout the state to determine the specific location of any of those registrants on whom the law allows a home address to be displayed.

Drug and Alcohol Free Environment and Drug Prevention Program

These procedures are provided to students and employees of the Ohlone Community College District in accordance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendment of 1989; 20 U.S. Code Sections 1011i; 1091(r); 1092(f)(1)(H); 1092(k); 34 Code of Federal Regulations 86.1 et seq.; Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, 41 U.S. Code Section 8101-8106; California Drug-Free Workplace Act, Cal. Gov. Code 8355; and the California Business & Professions Code Section 25608(a).

The Board of Trustees of the Ohlone Community College District prohibits the unlawful possession, use, giving, manufacture, sale, delivery, dispensation, or distribution of illicit drugs and alcohol by any person on District property or as part of any District activity. Any student or employee in violation of this policy is subject to disciplinary action up to, and including, expulsion from the District or termination from employment and/or contacting or referral to law enforcement for prosecution. A student convicted of an offense loses eligibility for a grant, loan, or work assistance for one to two years or indefinitely for certain repeat offenses. The final decision to take disciplinary action rests with the Board of Trustees after consideration of the recommendation of the President/Superintendent of the Ohlone Community College District. The final decision of law enforcement action rests with the District Attorney's office. Students and employees may be required to participate satisfactorily in a drug or alcohol abuse assistance or rehabilitation program approved for such purposes by a state, federal, or local health, law enforcement, or other appropriate agency in order to regain rights or privileges lost by the violation (such as grants, loans or work assistance for students).

The possession, use, and sale of alcoholic beverages by anyone on the Ohlone Community College District controlled property is a misdemeanor per California Business and Professions Code 25608 (community college) and a violation of the Standards of Student Conduct. The use, sale, or possession of any illegal drug is a violation of state law and any person found in violation may be subject to arrest by federal, state, local, or campus security authorities. Criminal prosecution is separate from any administrative discipline that may be imposed by the Ohlone Community College District.

An employee must notify the District Human Resources Department of any criminal drug statute conviction for a violation occurring in the workplace no later than five days after the conviction.

The health risks associated with the use of illicit drugs and the abuse of alcohol include:

  • Death including by alcohol poisoning or drug overdose;
  • Risk of addiction and withdrawal symptoms including pain, convulsions, and depression;
  • Liver, heart, kidney, pancreas, and brain damage and/or loss of brain cells;
  • Impaired judgment and resulting safety and health risks including accidents, unwanted pregnancies or sexually transmitted diseases, and aggressive or violent behavior;
  • Impaired performance including drowsiness, impaired memory, and impaired concentration;
  • Sexual dysfunctions;
  • Harm to a fetus, including spontaneous abortions, premature labor, and detached placentas;
  • Psychological problems including depression, anxiety, paranoia, panic reactions, psychosis, and hallucinations;
  • Seizures;
  • Strokes, cardiac arrest, or cardiovascular problems;
  • Lung damage or illnesses; bronchitis, or respiratory arrest; and
  • Needle-related illnesses and complications such as hepatitis; HIV; muscle and nervous tissue death necessitating limb amputation; and infections.

Drug or alcohol counseling, treatment, rehabilitation, re-entry programs, or referrals are available to employees or students. The district provides confidential referrals through an Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for employees and their families needing assistance with drug or alcohol abuse. Please contact the Associate Vice President, Human Resources, for more information or visit the Human Resources website for information on contacting CONCERN EAP.

Students should contact the Student Health Center or the Vice President, Student Services for resources or for assistance. The Student Health Center also provides counseling, alcohol, and drug abuse education information and resources for students. For further information, please contact the Student Health Center (Building 7, second floor, Fremont campus; (510) 659-6258).

Additional information contained in this procedure is on the Ohlone College website, Administrative Procedure 3550, Drug Free Environment and Drug Prevention Procedures.

Alcohol and Other Drugs Program

See Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD) Program on the HR website.