Frequently Asked Questions - College Connections Program

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the Ohlone College Connections Program?

College Connections students take high school classes in the morning and the college classes of their choice in the afternoon, giving them the opportunity to get a head start on college, whether it be continuing at a community college or earning transferable units to a four year college or university.

Q. How do I enroll?

The first step is to talk to your high school counselor and review Steps to Enroll page for further details on how to enroll.

Q. Will this program help me prepare for college?

Yes! All students are required to take at least one Ohlone College course each semester. Not only will this help prepare you for the rigors of college, but it may also help you get a jump start on college course requirements.

Q. Will my classes be applicable to four-year universities?

Yes, you can be sure your college courses transfer to CSU/UC by checking course information. It will say under the course information whether the course is accepted for credit at CSU/UC.

Q. Can I take any college class I want?

No, high school students are only allowed to take college level courses. Remedial (below college level) Math and English are NOT acceptable courses for College Connections. If these courses are needed to graduate, the student should not participate in the program and should remain in high school during senior year to take the courses needed for graduation.

The Ohlone courses you take must be CSU/UC transferable. Please be sure you see this information next to a course before enrolling in it. High school students may not take courses that are not transferable to CSU/UC.

Further, high school students are not allowed to take PE courses at Ohlone College.

Q. When does school start?

High school class typically begins a few days before the Ohlone College semester begins. High school class meet Monday-Friday mornings and students attend their college course during the afternoon and/or evening.

Q. Can I go back to high school if I don't like College Connections?

Usually you can go back, but your high school class choices will be extremely limited.

Q. Can I participate in Senior Year activities?

Yes, students are able to participate in most extracurricular high school events, including sports. Students must make sure that Ohlone classes are finished by the time all activities begin.

Q. What is the role of the Ohlone College counselor?

The Ohlone College counselors are there to assist you with your college courses and can give you tips on how to succeed in college. They can also provide you with emotional support you may experience as a result of this transition.

It is strongly recommended that you take PD 113 Strategies for Succeeding in College during your first semester.

Ohlone College counselors cannot assist you with anything related to high school.

Q. What is the role of my high school counselor?

Your high school counselor will answer all your questions about graduation and 4 year college/university applications. She will make sure you are on track to graduate and can also help you with emotional or social issues you may be experiencing.

Q. What if I need more help with college?

You are entitled to use any resources on the Ohlone College campus, including the student health center, tutoring, personal counseling, library, etc.

Q. If I have An IEP At My High School, Can I Get The Same Accommodations at Ohlone College?

Our Student Accessibility Services (SAS) counselors will assist you with receiving accommodations for Ohlone classes. The explanation on the differences of level accommodation services between high school and Ohlone College SAS would guide you to have a better understanding on how to get accommodations for your Ohlone classes. Since your IEP only applies your accommodations for your high school classes your accommodations will be made based on the Ohlone College SAS process.

  1. After you complete your steps to enroll through Kindergarten -12th grade enrollment process, you will need to email your documentation verifying your disability to
    • IEP or 504 Plan and
    • Psychoeducational Report
    • Latest High School Transcript 
    • Provide LD assessment from other institution
    • Medical Documentation signed by a medical professional
    • Latest High School Transcript
  2. Once your documentation is reviewed, you will be contacted by SAS Program Assistant to schedule you an appointment to meet with a SAS Counselor.
  3. The SAS Counselor will help you develop an Education Plan to determine the classes in which you should enroll each semester as well as identify your educational limitations and create an Academic Accommodation Plan.

If you have any questions or concerns about SAS, please contact SAS office at or 510-896-5183 - This phone will be answered Monday - Thursday 8am-5pm.

Q. How many units can I take?

Students can take up to 15 units. Students who would like to overload must obtain written permission of the parent and high school teacher. See your high school teacher for forms and more information.

Q. Can I take online classes?

Students must take classes in person during the first semester. If they feel ready to handle online classes during the Spring semester they may do so only as an additional course. At least one course must be in person, on the Ohlone College campus.

Q. Will this program help me prepare for college?

Yes! All students are required to take at least one Ohlone College course each semester. Not only will this help prepare you for the rigors of college, but it may also help you get a jump start on college course requirements.

Q. What if I haven't met all the graduation requirements at my high school? Can I still join?

It is preferable that students have met all graduation requirements; however, with the approval of a counselor, school principal, and the program coordinator, it may still be possible to join if you haven't. It will be important for you to sign up for Ohlone classes that will satisfy the high school graduation requirements that you are missing.

Q. If I have sports or other activities after school, can I still participate?

Yes, but you will need to make sure that your Ohlone classes are finished by the time your activity begins.


For Fremont Students

Q. Who can join?

This program is open to high school seniors at any public high school in the Fremont Unified School District. Students must be in good academic standing, have a minimum 2.0 GPA and be current on credits by the end of junior year (you also must have completed 30 credits of math before entering the program).


For Newark Students

Q. What high school classes will I be taking?

Newark College Connections classes meet Monday through Friday from 8:00am to 1:10pm on the Ohlone Newark campus. Students enroll in year-long courses of Mythology, Humanities, and Leadership and semester-long courses in Government and Economics. For additional information, visit the Curriculum and Class Schedule page of this website.

See our Ohlone, Fremont Unified or Newark Unified contact webpage to find out more.
View important dates and deadlines on the academic calendar.