Fremont Campus - Maggie Morrisson Speech Communication Lab
- Building FP-22
- (510) 659-6473
Newark Campus - Communication Lab
- Room NC1110, Cranium Café in the Newark Learning Resource Center, first floor, Wing 1
- (510) 742-3132
|Monday||9:00am to 3:30pm||9:00am to 11:30am|
|Tuesday||9:00am to 3:00pm||9:00am to 2:30pm|
|Wednesday||9:00am to 2:00pm
5:00pm to 6:00pm
|9:00am to 12:00pm|
|Thursday||9:00am to 3:00pm||9:00am to 2:30pm|
|Friday||10:00am to 2:00pm||Closed|
|Saturday||2:30pm to 5:30pm
(9/7, 9/28, 10/12, 11/2, 11/23 only)
"Public Speaking Tip: Remember to preview your main points before delivering the body your speech."
Our Communication Labs are a core essential part of our curricular program. We communicate to create, comprehend and better community. In the Spring of 2015, we were awarded national certification from the National Association of Communication Centers, sponsored by National Communication Association.
For students who aspire to become effective and confident communicators, the Ohlone College Labs provide a safe, risk-free, creative space to help you develop and improve your oral communication and presentation skills. Our Labs are staffed with an energetic and motivated group of peer tutors and mentors to help guide our public speaking students through every phase of the speech making process, while also engaging students in the greater potential of effectively communicating with myriad audiences.
We provide the following:
- Flexible operating hours in 2 locations - A no-grade, low-stakes, risk-free, social environment to welcome all COMM-111 students.
- Sites predominately staffed by experienced student tutors and mentors - Assistance to all COMM-111 students in the entire speech making process, including:
- Develop a topic & purpose for the specific context of their speech.
- Organize clear thesis & main points to focus the direction of the speech.
- Research supporting material to defend claims made in the speech - including citations, written and oral.
- Construct an outline suited for oral presentations
- Develop presentational aids to clarify and amplify information presented in the speech.
- Practice delivery & performance to maximize audience understanding and engagement.
- Record practice performances for greater assessment and reflection for the speaker.
Download the Ohlone College Communication Labs brochure (PDF).
For information about serving as a tutor, tutor training, and additional learning centers and labs, see Tutoring Services.
The Ohlone College Communication Labs provide a creative space where students can broaden and develop their oral communication and critical thinking skills in theory and in practice to become civically engaged and socially conscious.
The Communication Labs support our communication classes where we are committed to making student's voices central to our programs and classes. The labs serve as a hub for moving our department's philosophy into practice.
Ohlone College Communication Labs value:
- Praxis - The Communication Labs are spaces in which critical communication theory meets practical use through the informed practice of ethical public speaking.
- Participation - The Communication Labs are designed and operated to support each student's engagement in their own education as well their civic lives.
- Empowerment - The Communication Labs are focused on developing our students' tools - practical and theoretical - to feel confident in their own voice and to actively engage their communities in the pursuit of social justice.
- Critical Pedagogy - The Communication Labs continue our department's pedagogical practice of centering our students - and their lived experiences - in our philosophy of education.
Communication Lab Photos
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".