Student Education Planning (SEP) - Counseling Department

What is a Student Education Plan?

A Student Education Plan (commonly referred to as an SEP) is a plan with courses listed semester by semester that you will have to take to achieve your academic goal(s). The following are common academic goals for community college students:

  • Transferring to a 4-year university
  • Obtaining an associate degree
  • Obtaining a certificate
  • A combination of the above

Why is it important to have an SEP?

An SEP is a roadmap to reaching your academic goal.

  • If you were planning a trip to somewhere that you had never been to before, chances are it would take you longer to get there if you didn't have detailed directions; you could even get lost and not make it to your destination at all! An SEP ensures that you know what you have to do and when you have to do it.

An SEP also helps ensure that

  • You know what achieving your academic goal entails
  • You are not taking too many courses in any one semester
  • Your semester schedules are well balanced (course-load, work hours, extracurricular activities, and/or other commitments )
  • You have the appropriate coursework completed by the time you are ready to graduate and/or transfer
  • You will be able to register for classes earlier.*

    * Students who have an SEP on file with counseling department before April 7th will have the day and time that they register for classes for Summer/Fall 2015 moved up as a reward. This registration "bump" applies to any student that first enrolled at Ohlone in Fall 2013 or later. Continuing students who started Spring 2013 and earlier will not be required to complete an SEP. If you first enrolled in Spring 2013 or earlier, as long as you have declared a major, you will receive an earlier registration time.

Student Education Plan FAQ

Q. Am I required to complete a Student Education Plan?

Yes. All students that started at Ohlone College in Fall 2013 (or later) or have taken 15 units are required to have an SEP on file with the counseling department in order to ensure that they can register for their Summer/Fall 2015 classes as early as possible.

Q. What do I need to do in order to get an SEP created?

Contact the Counseling department to make a counseling appointment through the following ways:

Q. Is there anything I need to know before my counseling appointment to create my SEP?

Not necessarily. If you just show up to the counseling appointment then we can walk you through the process. On the other hand, if you have your academic goals figured out beforehand, that will make the process go more smoothly and quickly.

If you are looking to transfer to a 4-year university, it would help to know which universities you are looking to transfer to. We suggest having one to three potential targets selected. It would also help to know what your intended major is.

If you attended any other colleges, please bring unofficial transcripts showing the coursework you completed.

Q. Can the counselors at Ohlone tell me what my academic goals should be?

Only you can make that determination. However, we would be more than happy to help you explore your options so that you can make an informed decision. Please make a counseling appointment and we can talk about the possibilities!

Q. What should I do if I don't have a major figured out yet?

It is possible to create a student education plan for a student who does not have a major chosen yet, and doing so may give you a general sense of how long it will take you to reach your goals. It is unlikely, however, that creating such a plan will have much "staying power" and will likely have to be revised extensively as soon as a major is selected. Keep in mind that if you intend on earning a degree or transferring to a 4-year university, the longer you continue to take courses without having a major chosen, the more likely you are to take classes that may end up being unnecessary.

If you are still searching for a major and/or career path, here are some suggestions:

  1. Meet with a counselor. Counselors can give you resources to help you with your search, and they can recommend strategies to help you narrow down your options.
  2. Attend a "How to Choose Your Major" workshop offered by the Ohlone Transfer Center. Upcoming dates can be found in the Transfer Center Workshops Schedule.
  3. Sign up for our Personal Development class designed just for this purpose! PD-150: Career and Life Planning is a 2 unit course that can be found through WebAdvisor. This course will provide you with plenty of resources and strategies to help you choose your major and shape your future.

Q. I'm interested in transferring to a 4-year university. Are there any resources that I should look into before my counseling appointment?

The Ohlone College Transfer Center has a wealth of information about the transfer process and you should take full advantage of their services. The following are just some of the things that they offer:

  • Library of university catalogs and reference handbooks
  • University representative visits
  • Transfer workshops and information sessions
  • Resources for exploring majors
  • Assistance with applying to universities

If you're interested in transferring to a California State University (CSU) or a University of California (UC) then you'll want to familiarize yourself with the website, is a state funded website that helps students and counselors understand the requirements necessary to transfer to specific CSU and UC programs.

Q. How many units do I need to graduate and/or transfer from Ohlone College?

A minimum of 60 degree applicable units are required to graduate from Ohlone College. A minimum of 60 transferable units are required transfer to a CSU/UC.

Those 60 units consist of courses required by your major and general education (GE) courses. If you do not meet the 60 unit requirement after completing your major and GE courses, then you can take additional units in elective courses to make up the difference.

Unit requirements for transferring to private universities vary, although many require a minimum of 60 units for students transferring as a 3rd year/junior student.