Register for classes using counselor with your questions or to review academic program requirements.
Courses for this discipline include (not a complete list):
- ASL-101A/B Principles of American Sign Language I
- ASL-102A/B Principles of American Sign Language II
- ASL-103A/B Principles of American Sign Language III
- ASL-104A/B Principles of American Sign Language V
- ASL-140 Deaf Education
- ASL-142 Deaf Culture
- ASL-145 Deaf History
- ASL-150 Linguistics of ASL
- ASL-152 Advanced Fingerspelling
- ASL-154 Advanced American Sign Language Vocabulary
- ASL-155 ASL Literature
- ASL-156 Advanced Reception of ASL
- ASL-157 ASL Storytelling
- ASL-158 Classifiers in ASL
- ASL-159 Interpreting as a Career
- ASL-160/161 American Sign Language Field Work
- ASL-181A/B Conversational ASL
- ASL-183 ASL Skill Building
- ASL-190A/B/C Workshop in Beginning ASL
Most Ohlone College classes require the purchase of a textbook, and some classes require the purchase of online access codes (also known as keys) or other supplies. Most of these purchases are available at the Ohlone College Bookstore.
Students may also be required to pay additional fees for access to online resources that are not available through the Ohlone College Bookstore. Please check with the instructor.
More at Textbooks: Information and Purchasing, including Online Orders, Newark Center Textbooks and Supplies, Book Buybacks, and Textbook Costs.
Student Learning Outcomes
American Sign Language and Deaf Studies AA Degree
- Employ the knowledge and skills in ASL that will support the undertaking of study and employment in education of the Deaf, interpreting, and in various professional and paraprofessional occupations in which the ability to communicate using American Sign Language is essential.
- Demonstrate the ability to effectively communicate in ASL with diverse members of the Deaf Community in all types of settings.
- Acquire and apply their knowledge of the Deaf Community, Deaf Culture, Deaf Education, and all aspects of Deaf Life so that the student will become an effective advocate working with the Deaf to advance understanding and support for Deaf related issues which impact the lives of Deaf children and adults worldwide.