Q. What is the Ohlone College Language & Culture Center for Deaf Studies?

Female and male students signing.The Language & Culture Center for Deaf Studies is Building 6 on the Fremont campus of Ohlone College. It is the location for our premier programs for Deaf and Hard of Hearing students, and programs in Interpreter Preparation, the study of American Sign Language (ASL) and Deaf Studies. Faculty and staff with extensive and unique expertise serve students in all disciplines.

Q. What makes Ohlone College programs unique?

Ohlone College has one of the largest and most comprehensive programs in California designed to meet the academic and vocational needs of Deaf and Hard of Hearing students.

The staff includes full-time and part-time instructors all trained and certified in the area of Education of the Deaf, as well as a staff of interpreters. Students attend self-contained classes as well as mainstreamed classes.

Q. How much does it cost?

Information about fees is available on the Admissions and Records website, including parking permits and a Health Services Fee.

In addition, you can expect to pay between $200 and $300 for your books per semester. Visit the Ohlone College Bookstore for more information.

Any and all fees are subject to review and change at any time without notice by the administration of the Ohlone Community College District for reasons, at the discretion of the District and the State of California.

Some or all fees may not apply if you are a recipient of benefits under the Aid of Families with Dependent Children Program, the Supplemental Security Income (SSI) /State Supplemental Program, or the General Assistance Program. Contact the Department of Rehabilitation (DOR), you also should check with them.

Q. How can I pay for college? Can I get Financial Aid?

There are several ways you can pay for your college education:

  1. Do you have SSI? (Social Security Income) If yes, this will waive your registration and Health Services fees. You will still need to pay for your books and parking.

  2. You can make an appointment with your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor. Your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor will interview you and find out about your vocations (employment) goals. If you are eligible for assistance, they will pay for part or all of your vocational education. They may even pay for your books and parking fees.

  3. You can apply for FAFSA website) application or Student Aid at the Financial Aid Office or an application can be sent to you. Contact the Financial Aid office at Voice (510) 659-6150. Or the FAFSA federal office telephone number is (800) 433-2343.

Q. Can I live on campus?

Ohlone College does not have dormitories or any other on-campus housing. All students live off campus. You will need to arrive early in the Fremont area to locate housing. Many students looking for roommates post notes on bulletin boards. You may want to look at classified ads in Fremont's "The Argus" newspaper (which is available in print and is online at www.insidebayarea.com/argus). Many people rent rooms to students. Because apartments are expensive in Fremont, students often find four (4) other students to be roommates. This helps reduce your rental costs. Others live in other cities close to Fremont and commute to school. It is important that you think about what is the best kind of housing situation for you and begin to make plans.

More Student Housing Information is available on the Student Life website.

Q. How do I apply to Ohlone College?

The counselors for Deaf students provide assistance with registration, testing and student orientation. Send a letter or the application to the counselors for Deaf students. Tell us when you want to start college (Fall or Spring semester, and what year).

The counselors will set up an appointment for you to come to the College to take a placement test (a test that helps us know which classes you need when you start college). Appointments will also be given to you for college orientation and class registration.

You will need to bring your audiogram, money, your college application (if you have it), and transcripts from high school and other colleges you have attended.

Q. How do I contact the counselors?

The counselors for Deaf, Hard of Hearing, Deaf-Blind, and Blind-Deaf students provide the following services:

  • Recruiting
  • Interviewing
  • Assessment
  • Orientation and registration for new students
  • Coordinating registration and academic advisement of all Deaf students
  • Maintaining Deaf student records
  • Personal, academic and vocational counseling for all Deaf students is also provided
  • Guidance is also available for International Deaf students

Contact us for an appointment.

Q. How do I register for classes?

Ohlone College has an online registration system called MyOhlone. You must have already applied to and been accepted by the college in order to register for classes using MyOhlone (go to MyOhlone Resources for user guides). You do not need an Ohlone account or be accepted at Ohlone to review available classes using the searchable online Class Schedule.

We have counselors for the Deaf assist you with direct access to registration. The counselors have a computer terminal that has direct access to the registration program and you get to have advance registration if you apply with our office on time.

Q. How do I get interpreters for classes?

The counselors for the Deaf will help you pick your classes if you want, and will coordinate with the Interpreting and Accommodation Services office to assign Interpreters if you register for mainstream classes.

Q. What else can the counselors help me with?

The counselors on staff are trained in working with Deaf students and the language of the Deaf, American Sign Language (ASL). There are many different things the counselors can help you with. Contact us for an appointment.

Q. How can I get to the college?

Refer to Directions to Ohlone College and public transportation by BART and AC Transit (bus service).

Q. What if I get sick while on campus?

The college has a wonderful Student Health Center on campus that handles light medical needs on campus. They have a nurse practitioner on staff, and can refer out for more serious needs.

If you have a secondary disability (i.e., a seizure disorder) or you are diabetic, please contact the Student Health Center before you become ill (such as during the first few weeks you attend classes at Ohlone) so they know who you are and they can tell you about their services before you might need them.

Five students signing while sitting at an outdoor table.