The Ohlone College Interpreter Preparation Program (IPP) offers a comprehensive, high-quality education that guides and prepares students to enter the field of ASL-English interpreting. We were the first American Sign Language-English interpreter education program in Northern California and we continue to maintain a reputation for being one of the top interpreting programs in the nation.
Our students come from all around the country and from all walks of life, brought together by their love of American Sign Language, Deaf culture and the Deaf community. Our IPP faculty is top-notch; we have internationally known and respected educators, interpreters, presenters and authors. We also have one of the largest concentrations of Deaf students among community colleges nationwide due to our excellent Deaf program and our close proximity to California School for the Deaf Fremont.
The San Francisco Bay Area is home to a vibrant, thriving Deaf community, and our IPP has strong collaborations with local Deaf programs and service agencies. These connections provide outstanding opportunities for practice and community engagement. At a much more affordable cost compared to state or private schools, our Interpreter Preparation Program is an opportunity to obtain unparalleled instruction, training and experience.
Admission to the ASL-English Interpreter Preparation Program is by special application.
Ohlone Interpreter Preparation Program
APPLY BY April 30th for Fall 2019 Admission!
- ASL 104A or equivalent
- Deaf Culture (ASL 142) or equivalent
- ASL Linguistics (ASL 150) or equivalent
- College-level English with grade of “C” or better
- College-level Math with grade of “C” or better
- Completion of 30+ GE Units with cumulative GPA of 2.7 or above
Steps of the Application Process:
- Apply to Ohlone College
- Complete the online IPP application form
- Send unofficial transcripts & supporting documents
- Obtain 3 references (at least one must be Deaf)
- Qualified applicants will be contacted via email or phone!
Questions? Email email@example.com