Dreamers - Support Services and Resources

Ohlone College - AB 540 Safe Zone

ALL Ohlone Students, including our AB-450 “dreamer” students are eligible for care at Ohlone Student Health. Mental, physical and reproductive health appointments are available via telehealth services, even for student who withdrew from their Spring 2020 classes after the COVID-19 campus shutdown. Please visit the Ohlone Student Health Services website for details or email Health Services at studenthealth@ohlone.edu.
Students should also be aware of California’s Disaster Relief Assistance for Immigrants:
On April 15, Governor Newsom announced one-time disaster relief assistance for undocumented Californians impacted by COVID-19, who are ineligible for most other forms of pandemic assistance. Eligible Californians may receive one-time COVID-19 disaster relief assistance at a value of $500. A limit of two adults per household can receive this assistance (maximum assistance of $1,000 per household). Check out https://covid19.ca.gov/guide-immigrant-californians/ for updates

If you have any questions or are in need of assistance, email us at dreamers@ohlone.edu!

Qualifying for AB 540

Eligible undocumented high school graduates may attend Ohlone College and pay in-state tuition fees. Review the eligibility requirements below and use the Ohlone Application Instructions for AB 540 Students (PDF) when completing the Ohlone College Admissions Application.

California Nonresident Tuition Exemption For Eligible California High School Graduates (AB 540)

AB 540 is a California law that allows all students who qualify, including undocumented students to pay in-state tuition fees at all public colleges and universities in California. AB 540 is not a path to adjust the immigration status. For immigration status resources, visit the Immigrants Rising.

To Qualify as an AB 540 Student

  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the semester (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency exam).
  • Undocumented students must file the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption form [also called AB 540 Affidavit (PDF)] with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.
    • Students who are non-immigrants (for example, those who hold F [student] visas, B [visitor] visas, etc.) are not eligible for this exemption.
    • The student must file an exemption request including a signed affidavit with the college that indicates the student has met all applicable conditions described above. Student information obtained in this process is strictly confidential unless disclosure is required under law.
    • Students eligible for this exemption who are transferring to another California public college or university must submit a new request (and documentation if required) to each college under consideration.
    • Nonresident students meeting the criteria will be exempted from the payment of nonresident tuition, but will not be classified as California residents. They continue to be "nonresidents."

Beginning January 1, 2013, AB 540 students will be eligible for state financial aid. This includes Cal Grant. AB 540 students do not qualify for federal financial aid. Visit Paying for College to learn more about state and institutional financial aid.

Visit Applying to Ohlone College for instructions to complete the Ohlone College Admission Application and AB 540 Affidavit.

Two female students in front of Ohlone's Newark Center building.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".