Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Who can participate in the Ohlone College Dual Enrollment Program?

Any current high school student (grades 9-12). 

Q. What is the Dual Enrollment Program?

The Dual Enrollment Program provides current high school students the opportunity to get an early start on earning college credit. Many courses are transferable to four-year colleges and universities, others lead to a short-term certificate and/or associate degrees. 

Q. How can I participate in the Ohlone College the Dual Enrollment program at a high school campus?

Students interested in Dual Enrollment should reach out to their high school counselor or instructor. 

Q. Is there any cost associated with participating in the Dual Enrollment program at high school campus?

Fremont and Newark Unified School District High School students: There is no cost to current high school students who take no more than 11.5 units during any regular semester.  
New Haven Unified School District High School students: There is no cost to current high school students who take no more than 15 units during any regular semester. 

High school students who are enrolled exclusively in classes located on their high school campus are exempt from the Electronic Access, Health Services, Shuttle Service, and Student Activity Fees. Students who are enrolled in online only classes are subject to the Electronic Access Fee. See Fees.

Q. Will I get college credit for taking courses?

Students who complete Ohlone courses will receive community college credit for successfully completing the course(s). In most cases, courses are also CSU and UC transferable. When in doubt, students should consult with a high school counselor.

Q. How do I access tutoring for my Ohlone class?

Free in-person and online tutoring is available through Tutoring Services.

Q. Am I eligible to participate in this program if I am undocumented?

Yes, undocumented students are welcome to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program. 

Q. What happens if I need to drop out of the course I am enrolled in?

Students are responsible for the proper revision of their class schedules. Dropping or withdrawing from a class is NOT an automatic process. Students are responsible for dropping classes they are not attending through WebAdvisor. Students who do NOT drop a class.  If a student does not follow this procedure the student may remain registered in the class to the end of the semester and receive an F grade that will remain on their permanent student record. 

You can access your Ohlone class(es) on WebAdvisor. Follow the instructions below:
•    Visit:
•    Go to the far left side of the webpage, and click on the blue “Search for Sections” link.
•    In the "Term" drop down menu select “2020 Fall Semester.”
•    Then, in the "Section Status" drop down menu select “Open Sections”.
•    Go to bottom of the page and click on the blue “SUBMIT” button.

Q. Can I meet with an Ohlone College counselor?

For questions regarding high school requirements, see your high school counselor.

Q. Does any Ohlone College class I take transfer to California State University or University of California?

Not all Ohlone College classes are transferable. It is important to meet with your high school counselor to discuss what classes you are enrolling in and ensure they meet your college goals and are transferrable to a 4-year university. 

Q. Are classes I take at Ohlone College permanently on my transcript?

All Ohlone College courses will appear on your permanent record and must be reported to any other college or university to which you apply.

Q. If I am taking classes at Ohlone College while in high school, can my parents access my records?

College student's records are confidential and protected by the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Your parents may not access your records without a written release from you (regardless of your age). 

In order for your parent/guardian to access your records, you must submit a signed “Consent To Release Student Education Record” with a copy of your photo ID. The statement should be very specific as to what information is allowed to be released. (Grades, class schedule, transcripts, communication with instructors, etc.)  

Q. If I take Ohlone College classes while I am in high school, do I become a transfer student when I apply to a 4-year university?

Students who plan to apply to a university directly from high school will apply as a freshman and indicate that they have completed college coursework while in high school. Many students elect to continue studying at Ohlone after high school until they complete 60 transferable semester units. In those instances, students will apply as a transfer student, which offers numerous preferred and guaranteed transfer opportunities. Please consult with the Ohlone College Transfer Center for details.

Q. If I have an IEP at my high school can I get the same accommodations I receive for My Dual Enrollment Courses at High School?

Our Student Accessibility Services (SAS) counselors will assist you with receiving accommodations for Ohlone classes. Since your IEP only applies to high school classes your accommodations will be made based on the Ohlone College SAS process. If you have any questions or concerns about SAS, please contact the SAS office at, or 510-896-5183. This phone will be answered Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 8am-5pm.

Q. Do the UC and CSU systems prefer that high school students take AP and honors courses over community college courses to gain favorable standing for admission?

No. The UC and CSU admissions offices weigh California Community College courses that meet A-G requirements on a 5.0 scale and are contractually required to accept courses listed at for degree and general education requirements. The UC and CSU systems are not contractually required to accept AP and Honors courses for degree and general education requirements.

Q. Which college courses will meet core graduation requirements at my high school?

Each K-12 district must make its own determination about which college courses they choose to allow to meet which graduation requirements. Meet with your counselor or assistant principal of instruction to learn more about which courses your K-12 district will accept for core graduation requirements.

Q. Who can I contact if I have questions?

Admissions & Records:

You can contact Rob Smith, Supervisor-Student Pathways Programs, at and 510.659.6005.

View important dates and deadlines on the academic calendar.