Week of October 26, 2020
Focus Topic: Tricks & Treats
Many of us store tension in our neck, shoulders and upper back. After a few hours seated in front of a computer screen, you may begin to feel discomfort in your neck and upper back. Check out this yoga stretch video. No tricks with Yoga by Adriene. All treat!!!
Grading can be really scary. Although we can’t help with student submissions, we’ve got some tricks for making that experience a little less frightening. Make sure to read all the way to the bottom for Mary’s sage advice with how to make your grading experience in SpeedGrader much more efficient with grading by question!
Upcoming professional development courses:
eCampus is proud to offer these three-week CVC-OEI adopted courses to help you further your online teaching skills. Pre-registration is required.
Humanizing Online Teaching and Learning - November 2 - REGISTER
- Research shows that students are more engaged in class when they feel like the instructor cares about them and their success. In this class you’ll learn how to develop humanizing practices that help build community, collaboration, and relationships that lead to student success.
- Ohlone Online Teaching Capstone - November 30 - REGISTER
Census Reminder for late Start Courses
As you get ready for your late start courses to begin, please remember to include a low stakes assignment (such as a syllabus quiz, introduction, or watching an orientation video) that must be completed prior to the third day of class. This will ensure that students have successfully entered your course and have engaged with the content. The census date for your late start course should be listed on your WebAdvisor roster. When in doubt, please talk with your Dean.
eCampus Inspirations – Continue to Learn With Us
When we think about assessing our students to see what they have learned, do we include a focus on learning or on assessment? A properly designed assessment can be a part of the learning process as well as an appraisal of the quality of learning that the student has achieved. The ultimate goal is to determine whether the achieved learning outcomes align with the desired learning outcomes all the while improving student learning. The INSPIRATION workshop this week will provide you with some various strategies of assessment and an opportunity to engage in what promises to be a robust discussion of the topic with your peers. Can’t make the session but want a little more information? Read this article from the K. Patricia Cross Academy on Learning Assessment in Online Courses.
|Friday||10/30||8:30 - 9:30 am*||eCampus||Meeting Link|
|Wednesday||11/4||12:00 - 1:00 pm||eCampus||Meeting Link|
*Please note new time: Fridays from 8:30 – 9:30 am. Grab your morning beverage and join the fun!
General Office Hours
The eCampus Virtual Office is open again. You’ll find us on Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 3:30 to 5:00 pm October 20 through November 24. You may also schedule one-on-one support with someone from the eCampus by submitting a Canvas IT ticket. Be sure to include the following information: a few days/times you are available, and specific tasks/questions you would like assistance with. Your success is our primary concern!
Minimum Qualifications Training (MQT) – November 9,10, and 12
The next MQT session is scheduled for November 9, 10, & 12 from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. Any instructor scheduled to teach in the fully online and/or hybrid format must complete this 6-hour training. Talk with your Dean if you are unsure of the action to take. REGISTER HERE.
Those of you who have already completed the training, remember the wealth of resources available:
- The MQT course shell contains templates and content from the Basic Training module;
- The Learning College Week Canvas course contains handouts and additional resources from FA 2020 sessions. (Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to be added as a student to this course so the shell appears on your dashboard.)
- The Online Faculty Teaching Resources Canvas course contains additional resources, sample course modules, and videos to help empower you in developing your online courses.
Distance Education Addendum Update
You’ve done a tremendous job getting those DE addenda in place. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication. If you still need to add the DE addendum, no worries. Additional Approval proposals can still meet the approval deadline if submitted by November 2. Ask your Dean if you have any questions about the status of your courses.
Notes from Mary
So how about some tips to spice up your grading. Did you know that you can sort your student submissions in SpeedGrader based on alphabetical order of student name, first to submit, or by submission status? Next time you’re in SpeedGrader, click the Settings or gear icon in the upper left and pop-out the “Options” menu.
In addition, SpeedGrader in quizzes now has an option to grade question by question. This short video (opens in new window) gives you a preview of the feature. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Hope you enjoy our tricks and treats!
Happy Howl-oween from your friends at eCampus!
- Week of June15
- Week of June 22 - Feature Topic: CVC-OEI 5-Day Challenges
- Week of June 29 - Feature Topic: Canvas updates
- Week of July 6 - Feature Topic: Checking for Student Understanding
- Week of July 13 - Feature Topic: Guidance on the Use of Video in Online Classes
- Week of July 20 - Feature Topic: Top 10 Tips for Good Zoom Hygiene and Etiquette in Education
- Week of July 27 - Feature Topic: Creating a Welcoming and Motivating Home Page
- Week of August 3 - Feature Topic: Tips for Faculty New to Ohlone
- Week of August 10 - Feature Topic: Building a Syllabus with Equity in Mind (includes sample language)
- Week of August 17 - Feature Topic: The Welcome Letter
- Week of August 24 - Feature Topic: Learning College Week
- Week of August 31 - Feature Topic: First week of Classes - You've Got This!
- Week of September 7 - Feature Topic: Census Update
- Week of September 14 - Feature Topic: Engaging Synchronous Discussions
- Week of September 21 - Feature Topic: Asynchronous Discussion Boards / Canvas Update
- Week of September 28 - Feature Topic: Zoom Settings and DE Addendum Update
- Week of October 5 - Feature Topic: Tutoring
- Week of October 12 - Feature Topic:What are we really testing?
- Week of October 19 - Feature Topic: Checking in and checking out (mentally)