"Everywhere I go I'm asked if the universities stifle writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher." -Flannery O'Connor
- Spring and Fall Semester Hours
- Monday - Thursday: 8:30am - 3:00pm, 5:00pm - 8:30pm
- Friday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Saturday, Sunday, Holidays and Breaks: Closed
- Summer Term Hour
- Monday - Thursday: 8:00am - 5:00pm
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Holidays and Breaks: Closed
- Building 3, fifth floor, room 3509
- (510) 659-6087
(Schedule is subject to change without notice.)
For information about serving as a tutor, tutor training, and additional learning centers and labs, see Tutoring Services.
Self-paced English Courses
These classes are designed to help you improve your skills in vocabulary, learning techniques, spelling, reading, and/or reading speed. Working at your own pace and carefully following written directions, you will come to the ELC lab to complete your assignments over the course of the semester. Staff will be available to answer questions, sign off on completed work, and periodically check your progress.
- English 172 Vocabulary
- English 173 Learning Techniques
- English 174 Spelling
- English 175 Reading Comprehension
- Enlgish 176 Rapid Reading
Course descriptions for English classes are available in the Ohlone College Catalog under Courses Descriptions.
- Free English tutoring - students can sign-up at the ELC front desk for a weekly English tutoring appointment
- Drop-In English Tutoring
- English as a Second Language (ESL) conversation groups
- Limited English tutoring available in NC1105.
Tutoring is available remotely through the English Learning Center Tutoring course in Canvas. Once you log into Canavas, you will open the English Learning Center Tutoring course. Click on Confer Zoom on the left menu. Next, you will click on Events and see the tutoring schedule. After 5:00pm and on weekends, tutoring is available via NetTutor available in the same Canvas shell on the left menu. Here is a schedule of when tutoring is available during the day:
An Embedded Tutor (ET) is a tutor assigned to work with a specific class. ET sessions are regularly scheduled, out of class group tutoring sessions. In addition, limited one-on-one tutoring is sometimes provided depending on student needs. The ET tutor works closely with the instructor and students, to provide tutoring and develop study skills.
Please go to the ELC at the Fremont campus Building 3, fifth floor, room 3509 to inquire about the current availability of foreign language tutors and hours.
All tutors can enroll in a tutor training class. See information at Serving as a Tutor.
Computer Support Technician