The Urban Farm Research Laboratory is installed at the Ohlone College Newark Center for Health Sciences and Technology. A satellite campus of the main Ohlone College campus in Fremont, the Newark Center is a LEED Platinum Certified building which houses the Environmental Studies program at Ohlone. The installation took placed on America Recycles Day 2011.
As a Charter Signator of the American College and University Presidents Climate Commitment, Ohlone's commitment to sustainable building and operations makes it an ideal partner for WM EarthCare's test products.
Ohlone College and Waste Management of Alameda County joined forces to create an outdoor learning laboratory and research center at the Ohlone College Newark Center that allows students and faculty to participate as a regional test bed facility for WM EarthCare (WMEC) recycled landscaping products.
Waste Management and WM EarthCare have provided raised bed soil containers (made of recycled redwood lumber) and a variety of growth media to create test beds for conducting research on the performance and suitability of the various growth media for urban farming.
Students and faculty will collect data on the performance criteria for the various materials. Analysis of the data will be conducted by WM EarthCare personnel.
Products are comprised of locally generated recycled or repurposed materials previously destined for burial in a landfill or use as landfill cover. The various growth media being used include soil and soilless blends that include composted green waste and other recycled products.
- Maverick's Potting Mix:*
compost, sand, wood fines, lava rock
- Blend 1:
soil, compost, wood fines
- Blend 2:
- Blend 3:
compost, wood fines, recycled concrete sands
- Mulch: WMEC California Gold, 100% recycled, clean, untreated lumber, coarsely ground to 2"
- Compost: WMEC Homegrown Compost, made of yard trimmings and foods scraps, listed for use in organic farming (OMRI rated)
- Geotextile material: Dupont Recycled Landscape Fabric-92% post consumer content (recycled plastic bottles)
* All materials provided by WMEC. Please see WM EarthCare (www.wmearthcare.com).
- Urban Farm Research Lab Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Urban Farm Research Lab at Ohlone College in Collaboration with Waste Management, Ohlone College Press Release, November 22, 2011
- America Recycles Day at Ohlone College, November 15, 2011
- WM EarthCare (WMEC)
Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".