Federal Grant Programs - Financial Aid Office

Ohlone's Federal College Code is 004481.

U.S. Department of Education FSA ID

When you apply for Federal financial aid you will need to create a FSA ID with the U.S. Department of Education. The user name and password you create confirms your identity when you access your financial aid information and electronically sign Federal Student Aid documents. If you are a dependent student, one of your parents will also need to create a FSA ID to sign your FAFSA.

You can use your FSA ID to do the following:

  • Access, complete, and electronically sign your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA.
  • View the status and results of your processed FAFSA.
  • Make corrections to your Student Aid Report (SAR).
  • View a history of any Federal student aid you have received.
  • Review your student loan or grant history at the sites listed below.

Because the FSA ID serves are your electronic signature and provides access to your personal records, you will need to keep it in a safe place. Do not give your FSA ID to anyone including financial aid officials. You will be able to use the same FSA ID in the future to apply electronically for student aid and access to your U.S. Department of Education records.

You can obtain additional information regarding the FSA ID, how to use it, security information, at the Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is a federally-funded program. This grant cannot exceed one-half the cost of your education. To be eligible, you must be an undergraduate student, enrolled in an eligible degree program, demonstrate financial need, and maintain satisfactory academic progress.

Grants range from approximately $555 to $5,730 per academic year. The amount awarded, as determined by the Federal Pell Grant Program is, in most cases, based on the previous year's income and current asset information you provided in the application.

Your Pell Grant eligibility is limited to 6 years or 12 full-time equivalent semesters (a total of 600%), including all past award years.

Check your Pell Lifetime Units used at www.nslds.gov .

This information is also listed on your FAFSA Student Aid Report.

See also the Summer Pell Grant.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

Students on Unsatisfactory Warning (Probation) will not qualify for FSEOG.

FSEOG is a federally-funded program designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students with established need. FSEOG awards range from $100 to $300 per year.

When you apply for financial aid, you will automatically be considered for this program based on eligibility requirements and availability of funds, on a first-come, first-served basis. You must enroll in at least 6.0 units to be considered to receive these funds.

If you are awarded FSEOG funds, you must meet satisfactory academic progress standards in order to continue receiving these funds.

Federal Work-Study Program (FWS)

FWS is a federally-funded program which enables students to earn part of their financial aid awards through employment. Through this program, students work part-time and are paid the minimum federal hourly wage. The majority of available positions are on campus.

To be eligible, a student must be a U.S. Citizen or a Permanent Resident, enrolled in at least six units, and meet satisfactory academic progress standards. To apply, you must file the FAFSA. Indicate on your FAFSA that you are interested in Work-Study. Complete an Ohlone Work-Study Participation Application (PDF). You must also comply with the Ohlone College Human Resources Office hiring procedures and requirements before you will be allowed to begin work. The Financial Aid Office, as well as your supervisor, must have written approval from the Human Resources office before you may begin working.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grant (BIA)

As stated in Title 25 CFR Part 32.3, BIE's mission is to provide quality education opportunities from early childhood through life in accordance with the Tribe's needs for cultural and economic well-being, in keeping with the wide diversity of Indian tribes and Alaska Native villages as distinct cultural and governmental entities. The Bureau is to manifest consideration of the whole person by taking into account the spiritual, mental, physical, and cultural aspects of the person within family and Tribal or Alaska Native village contexts.

For information and grant applications, visit their website at Repayment of Federal Funds Policy (R2T4)

If you receive a Federal Pell Grant and then withdraw from all of your classes before the semester has ended, you will owe money back to the U.S. Department of Education (Return to Title IV or R2T4).

Financial Aid reviews the withdrawal status of all financial aid students on a bi-weekly basis. Based on the date you completely withdraw from all classes, the Financial Aid Office will calculate the "earned" portion of your grant and will determine the amount you must repay. You will lose your eligibility for future Federal financial assistance from any Title IV eligible college or university until all unearned grant monies are returned to Ohlone College. These funds must be paid by cash, cashier's check or money order. No personal checks accepted.

If you decide that you must withdraw from all of your classes before the semester ends, it is your responsibility to officially complete the withdrawal process with the Office of Admissions and Records. In addition, you must immediately notify the Financial Aid Office that you are no longer enrolled so that your repayment amount can be calculated and you will know if you have to pay back any funds.

A complete withdrawal from classes will affect your future financial aid. We urge you to carefully evaluate your options before taking such a step. Counseling, tutoring, and other support services are available to help you maintain enrollment in your classes.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".