California College Promise Grant (CCPG) - Financial Aid Office

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

The California Community Colleges offer a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGW)) to help eligible students cover the cost of classes - Enrollment Fees ($46 per unit) - for the academic year. This is a non-monetary award available to California residents/AB540 eligible students only.

Male chemistry student working on lab test.
How to apply for CCPG:

Students should fill out the FAFSA/CA Dream Act Application to be considered for the CCPG and additional grants.

Students that want to apply for the CCPG ONLY, in addition to meeting CA residency/AB540 requirements, must submit the California College Promise Grant Application and proof of eligibility if meet one of the criteria listed below:

  • Receiving monthly cash assistance from TANF/CalWORKs/SSI/SSP or General Assistance; or as a dependent student, your parent(s) receive this assistance. (proof dated within the past 60 days required).
  • Congressional Medal of Honor recipients (or a dependent), dependents of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack, or have certification from the California Department of Veteran Affairs/ National Guard Adjutant General or are dependents of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty (proof required).
  • Meet the income standards listed in the Total Family Income table below. These amounts are estimated at the time of publication and are subject to change (signed copy of Federal Tax Return required).

2019-2020 California College Promise Grant Program Income Standards

Family Size Base Year Income
1 $18,210.00
2 $24,690.00
3 $31,170.00
4 $37,650.00
5 $44,130.00
6 $50,610.00
7 $57,090.00
8 $63,570.00
Each Additional Family Member $6,480

These standards are based upon the federal poverty guidelines, as published each year by the US Department of Health and Human Services. Under Title 5 of the California Code of Regulations, the student or student’s family must have a total income in the base year (in  this case, 2017) that is equal to or less than 150% of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines based on family size.

The base year is defined as the income year used for the determination of an expected family contribution (EFC) for federal Title IV student financial aid unless professional judgment is exercised by a financial aid office to use the current year income.

These income standards are for the 2019-2020 academic year and are to be used to determine California Promise Grant Part B (PG-B) eligibility effective July 1, 2019.


  • It is recommended that students apply for the CCPG prior to enrolling.
  • Parking discount will be applied to CCPG recipients.
  • The CCPG will not be applied to courses dropped prior to receiving the award.
  • CCPG will be applied only within the current academic year. No retroactive awarding to previous academic years.
  • There shall be no reimbursements after June 30 of the academic year.
  • If a student is found to be ineligible after receiving CCPG, the college has the option of pursuing recovery of the ineligible enrollment fees.

Loss of CCPG:

Effective Fall 2016, California Community College students receiving the CCPG must meet minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible for the CCPG:

  • Academic - Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Progress - Successfully complete at least 50% of all attempted units.

If a student does not meet these standards and/or a combination of these standards for two consecutive terms the student will lose eligibility for the CCPG. Students who lose CCPG can regain eligibility by meeting one of the following criteria: meeting academic and progress standard, sitting out for two consecutive primary semesters (Fall and Spring), or successfully appeal the loss regarding extenuating circumstances such as verified illness, accident or circumstances beyond your control, or documented changes in your economic situation (Supporting documentation are doctor's notes, accident report, loss of job, etc.) . To appeal the loss, students must

1. File the Appeal for Loss of Enrollment Priority and/or California College Promise Grant - CCPG with a detailed statement of your situation .
2. Gather supporting documents regarding extenuating circumstances.
3. Meet with a counselor for the comprehensive Student Education Plan.
4. Submit the form and supporting documents to the Admissions and Records.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".