Federal Work-Study Program - Financial Aid Office

Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a federally-funded program which enables students to earn part of their financial aid awards through employment. Your total Federal Work-Study award depends on your level of need, when you apply, and the funding level of Ohlone College by the U.S. Department of Education.

Group of 5 students on first day of classes in stairwell of Building 7 on Fremont campus.

How do I get into the Federal Work-Study Program?

To be eligible, a student must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident, enrolled in at least six (6) units, and maintain good academic standing while employed under the program. To apply, you must file the FAFSA, complete an Ohlone College Federal Work-Study Participation Application (PDF), and interview with the Work-Study Coordinator to find employment on campus.

You must also comply with the Ohlone College Human Resources Office hiring procedures and requirements before you will be allowed to begin work. The Financial Aid Office, as well as your supervisor, must have written approval from the Human Resources Office before you may begin working.

Community Service Work-Study students must also sign a release form.

Female student sitting next to pond on the Fremont campus.

Where will I work?

Most positions are in a variety of offices on campus: Athletics, Admissions & Records, Student Activities, Biology and Chemistry labs, Cashiers Window, Financial Aid, and IT to name a few.

How will I be paid?

Wages are at least the current federal minimum wage, but may be higher, depending on the type of work you do and skills required. No Federal Work-Study student may be paid by commission or work for free. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total Federal Work-Study award. You must complete your Work-Study time sheet and submit the signed document to the Financial Aid Office by the last day of each month. Pay days are the 10th of the month.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

Through the FWS program, students work part-time up to 20 hours per week. When assigning work hours, your supervisor and Work-Study Coordinator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress.


Contact Deborah Griffin, Work-Study Coordinator, dgriffin@ohlone.edu.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".