State Aid Programs - Financial Aid Office

Attention all Financial Aid Recipients!

All Financial Aid disbursements have been delayed until systems have been restored. We are working on alternative methods to ensure that you will be able to pick up your books for your registered courses. We will provide more information once we have a solution.

American Relief Plan Funding Now Available

Ohlone College is here for you and willing to do what we can to assist you with continuing your educational journey. Emergency grant funding is available for students that have experienced added expenses related to the COVID-19 Pandemic.


Register for CSAC's CASH FOR COLLEGE Webinar 
CSAC-Cash for College logoJoin the webinar to learn everything you need to know about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and the California Dream Act Application (CADAA).


State Programs

The State of California, through the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) and  the Chancellor Office, sponsors several grant programs for undergraduate students. These include California College Promise Grant, AB19/AB2 California College Promise Free Tuition and Book Grant Program, Cal Grants, California Chafee Grant, and Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents scholarships.

Our school delivers your refund with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. Visit this link for more information:

To view our contract, click here:

Emergency Financial Assistance to Low-Income Community College Student

NOTE: This funding source is no longer Available as of 4/16/21. Please be on the lookout for other Emergency Aid funding coming soon!!!!

Senate Bill 85 amends the Budget Act of 2020 by adding $121.1 million in one-time local assistance funds that provide funding for immediate COVID-19 response and relief efforts where California community college and students need it most, while making investments for an equitable, inclusive and broad-based economic recovery. Specifically, the Budget includes:

  1. $100 million to support emergency student financial assistance grants.

Funds are allocated at the district level, and multi-college districts are encouraged to use a data-driven approach to determine how to equitably distribute their allocation to colleges based on the needs of their low-income student populations.

Ohlone college has been allocated a total amount of $357,737 to award to our eligible students. Ohlone’s College will use FAFSA & CADAA Application data to identify this population of students once applications are received.  

Each college or district may establish awarding criteria, award amounts, and procedures to ensure equitable distribution of funds to students. Districts and colleges are encouraged to proactively contact students who have unmet need with information about the availability of direct emergency aid. Emergency aid should not have a negative impact on a student’s financial aid package and where applicable, the financial aid office should exercise professional judgment to increase the student’s cost of attendance (COA). Funds are meant to supplement, and not supplant, existing student aid provided to qualifying students. Examples of a financial need are, but not limited to:

  • Loss or reduction of income
  • Unexpected medical expenses for student or family member
  • Inability to pay rent/mortgage or utility bills
  • Expenses due to unexpected move, loss of housing, or catastrophic property damage
  • Unexpected transportation expense (i.e. car repair bill)
  • Sudden loss of childcare or sudden increase in childcare expenses
  • Documented theft of books and/or other essential academic supplies or tools
  1. Grants may be awarded to students who are California residents or are exempt from paying nonresident tuition under §68130.5 of the California Education Code who self-certify* that they meet the following conditions:
  2. Currently enrolled in at least 6 semester units (or the quarterly equivalent). This includes newly enrolled students.
  3. Demonstrate an emergency financial aid need.
  4. Qualify as low-income by meeting the requirements to receive a California College Promise Grant (CCPG) or is projected to receive a CCPG for the upcoming term.
  5. Earned a 2.0 grade point average at their current or prior institution in one of the previous three semester terms (or four quarter terms) OR Is a student who is receiving additional support or services through a community college’s Disabled Student Programs and Services.
  1. All eligible students enrolled for the Spring 2021 semester will be awarded a set amount of $1,000.
  2. If additional funding is remaining at the end of the Spring semester, we will then move on to awarding those students that are registered for the Summer 2021 semester, that have not already received an award.
  1. Students must complete the Emergency Financial Assistance Application online.
  2. Submitted forms will go directly to the Financial Aid Supervisor, Shawn Domingo, at
  3. Application will be reviewed within the financial aid department for completeness and to verify student meets eligible criteria. Application will then be approved or denied within 2 weeks.
  4. Student will be notified once a decision has been made by email to their email address. If approved, student will then be directed to create a BankMobile account in order to receive funding through BankMobile process.

Disaster Relief Emergency Student Financial Aid Grant

NOTE: This funding source is no longer Available as of 4/20/21. Please be on the lookout for other Emergency Aid funding coming soon!!!!

Senate Bill 116 Makes available $11 million in local assistance funds, originally available for the California Dreamer Service Incentive program, to be used to provide disaster relief emergency student financial aid to California community college students. The allocation awarded to Ohlone College for this effort is $55,083 to award during the Spring 2021 semester.

Colleges are encouraged to maximize the use of these funds and proactively reach out to students who have unmet need with information about the availability of direct emergency aid. Each college or district may establish awarding criteria, award amounts, and procedures to ensure equitable distribution of funds to students. Emergency aid should not have a negative impact on a student's financial aid package and where applicable, the financial aid office should exercise professional judgment to increase the student's cost of attendance (COA). Funds are meant to supplement, and not supplant, existing student aid provided to qualifying students.

  1. Demonstrate Financial Need (COA – EFC = financial need, must be $500 or more)
  2. Be exempt from paying nonresident tuition under Section 68130.5
  3. Have completed the California Dream Act Application, California College Promise Grant (CCPG) application, or applied for financial aid by other means established by the college.
  4. Student must be actively attending for the Spring 2021 semester

Funding amounts will be set to $1,000 per student. Students will be awarded in the following cohorts.

  • AB540 Students
  • California Residents

Priority will be given first to AB540 students who meet eligible criteria listed and who have applied for financial assistance by any means specified in that criteria for the Spring 2021 semester. Student will be funded the week after the Institutional census date (2 weeks after the beginning of the semester), to ensure that enrollment status has been locked.

This way Financial Aid can ensure we are funding based on locked enrollment statuses for the semester. Registration in late start courses will not count as enrollment for the Spring 2021 semester after funding has been awarded.

  1. Financial Aid will run a student enrollment report for the Spring 2021 semester. This will happen after the Institutional Census date 02/08/2021
  2. Eligibility Criteria for the funding will be set through various rules programed into the Colleague system.
  3. Financial Aid will run the enrollment listing through the system for all Full-time enrolled students first with a grant award of $1,000. The system will automatically apply this amount to student meeting the listed criteria as of (02/19/2021)
  4. If there is still remaining funding once that process has assigned grant aid to all students in the first tier, Financial aid will then run the enrolled listing through the system again to pick up the next tier of enrollment and so on until funding has been exhausted.
  5. A notification email will be sent out to all awarded students through our SIS to all student emails at the time of awarding.
  6. Students will be able to view their awards on their MyOhlone and will be prompted through the system to sign a revised award letter stating that they accept the funds.
  7. Instructions in the email will inform students that funding will be transmitted through BankMobile and they will receive instructions from BankMobile on how to set up their preferences to either have funding deposited onto a Bank Mobile card, or directly into a personal Checking or Savings account.
  8. Funding will be transmitted to BankMobile on 02/22/2021
  9. Funding will be available to students through their personal account, or a BankMobile account 2-4 days after funding has been transmitted to BankMobile. Funding disbursed to a BankMobile account will be available immediately.

California College Promise Grant (CCPG)

The California Community Colleges offer a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as the Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW)) to help eligible students cover the cost of classes - Enrollment Fees - for the academic year. This is a non-monetary award available to California residents/AB540 eligible students only.

How to apply for CCPG:

Students should fill out the FAFSA application/CA Dream Act Application to be considered for the CCPG and additional grants.

Students who want to apply for the Promise Grant ONLY need to submit the California College Promise Grant Application and must meet all of the following requirements:

1. Must be a California residents or meet AB540 requirements; and

2. Meet one of the followings:

  • Receiving monthly cash assistance from TANF/CalWORKs/SSI/SSP or General Assistance (or if as a dependent student, your parent(s) receive this assistance) as their only source of income.
  • Congressional Medal of Honor recipients (or a dependent), dependents of a victim of the September 11, 2001, or have certification from the California Department of Veteran Affairs/ National Guard Adjutant General or are dependents of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty.
  • Meet the income standards listed in the Total Family Income table below. Students should be prepared to show previous federal tax return(s), W2s, or other income verification. These amounts are estimated at the time of publication and are subject to change.

2019-2020 California College Promise Grant Program Income Standards


  • It is recommended that students apply for the CCPG prior to enrolling.
  • The CCPG will not be applied to courses dropped prior to Financial Aid processing the application.
  • BOG/CCPG will be applied only within the current academic year. No retroactive awarding to previous academic years.
  • Application must be submitted by the last business day of June for each academic year.
  • If a student is found to be ineligible after receiving a Promise Grant, the college has the option of pursuing recovery of the ineligible enrollment fees.

Loss of CCPG:

Effective Fall 2016, California Community College students receiving the CCPG must meet minimum academic and progress standards to remain eligible for the CCPG:

  • Academic - Maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0
  • Progress - Successfully complete at least 50% of all attempted units.

If a student does not meet these standards and/or a combination of these standards for two consecutive terms the student will lose eligibility for the CCPG. Students who lose CCPG can regain eligibility by meeting one of the following criteria: meeting academic and progress standard, sitting out for two consecutive primary semesters (Fall and Spring), or successfully appeal the loss regarding extenuating circumstances such as verified illness, accident or circumstances beyond your control, or documented changes in your economic situation (Supporting documentation are doctor's notes, accident report, loss of job, etc.) . To appeal the loss, students must

1. File the Appeal for Loss of Enrollment Priority and/or California College Promise Grant - CCPG with a detailed statement of your situation .
2. Gather supporting documents regarding extenuating circumstances.
3. Meet with a counselor for the comprehensive Student Education Plan.
4. Submit the form and supporting documents to the Admissions and Records.

AB19/AB2: California College Promise Free Tuition Grant Program

The California College Promise Free Tuition Grant Program is available for first-time, full-time students for the first two academic years of their academic program (AB19-First Academic Year/AB2-Second Academic Year). The Program covers the enrollment fees and student fees for the fall and spring semesters for up to 30 credits per academic year. Students who are eligible for the CA College Promise Grant (CCPG) through FAFSA are not eligible for this grant program. This grant is awarded based on FAFSA completion by the March 2nd California State Priority deadline. Priority will be given to those students whose Parents (Dependent Students) Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is less than $150,000, or Students and/or Spouses (Independent Students) AGI is less than $150,000 as reported on your FAFSA / CADAA Application.

General Requirements for Tuition Grant:

  • Student must complete a FAFSA or California Dream Act Application.
  • Student must be a high school graduate.*
  • Student must be a California resident or AB540 eligible.
  • Student must be a first-time college student (this includes students who entered with advanced standing/college credits earned before graduating from high school). To be eligible for second year, the student must have enrolled for a total of 24 units or more in prior award year (not to include the summer semester).
  • Must be registered for 12 units or more at the time of disbursement
  • Student must be enrolled in for-credit courses
  • Must meet Satisfactory Academic Progress at the time of disbursement

*Transfer students who have attended another college as a first time college student after high school in 2020-2021, must provide unofficial transcript before AB2 eligibility can be determined.

NOTE: You may only receive this grant for a total of 4 Semesters, which you must be registered full time for each semester in order to receive the grant funding. Summer semester is not an eligible semester to receive this grant. Grant Amounts will be based on enrollment in 15 units per full semester for a total of 30 units for the academic year. Student will not receive the grant after the 4th semester it has been awarded, even if the full amount of the grant has not been used.

Steps to Apply:

1. Fill out 2021-2022 FAFSA Application or 2021-2022 CA Dream Act Application. Be sure to add Ohlone School Code: 004481, to your application.

2. Register for at least 12 units every semester

Cal Grant Program

Cal Grants are state funded programs. The awards do not have to be paid back.

How to apply for a Cal Grant:

Once you submit your completed FAFSA/CADAA and high school/college GPA, CSAC will consider you for the appropriate Cal Grant award based on GPA, financial need and college of attendance.

Up to13,000 Competitive Cal Grant Awards are offered to students who meet the March 2 filing deadline if not awarded an entitlement award. Students are scored based on information provided on their FAFSA and their GPA. Scoring components include: GPA, parent education level, access equalizer, student or parent household status, family income and household size. CSAC uses Competitive Scoring Matrix. Competitive Cal Grants may only be awarded at California State Universities, Universities of California or eligible Private Colleges. Students attending a California Community College will not be considered.

*Missed the March 2 deadline? There is a secondary deadline, starting Fall 2021, a new Cal Grant Community College Entitlement Award is for students attending California Community College . Submit the GPA and FAFSA/CA Dream Act Application before the September 2 deadline to be considered for this specific Cal Grant.

GPA Submission:

It is student's responsibility to ensure GPA was submitted by the deadlines. Student can check on the status by creating an account on "WebGrants for Students" to confirm GPA was received at least 2 weeks before the deadlines.

Ohlone College submits GPA electrically at least 2 weeks before the deadline if you meet all of these requirements:

1. You have provided a valid Social Security Numbers to Admissions and Records prior to the date the school submit the GPA verification (not required for undocumented students*); and
2. You have completed at least 24 degree applicable/transferable credits at Ohlone College (considered for Entitlement and Competitive Cal Grants) or 16 degree applicable/transferable credits at Ohlone College but less than 24 credits (considered for Competitive Cal Grant B only); and
3. You have completed at least one semester at Ohlone College within the past 5 years.

*GPA verification for student without SSN will be submitted separately if the student meets units requirements. DACA student who has provided DACA SSN or any student who has submitted the invalid SSN must check in with school to have GPA submitted manually before the deadlines.

If you do not have enough credits at Ohlone College, but have previously attended other college(s), you must confirm whether your prior school will file your GPA for you, or obtain a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form, get it certified by a school official at your prior college, and mail it yourself.

Senior high school or 1 year out of CA high school students should check with your high school for GPA submission.

Submitting all the required items does not mean you are guaranteed to receive a Cal grant. Your eligibility will be determined by the California Student Aid Commission after the required items have received. Please visit California Student Aid Commission web page to learn more about the process and requirements at

Cal Grant A, B, & C

There are three types of Cal Grants awards, which are;

Cal Grant A: Cal Grant A award is not available at California Community College (CCC). If you receive Cal Grant A but decide to attend CCC, your award will be held up in reserve for up to two years until you transfer to a four year institution or attend private colleges. Exception: see Students with Dependent Children.

Cal Grant B: up to $1648 for an access award (living allowance) ONLY to help pay for books, supplies, and other college costs at CCC. The awards are available at CCC as well as UC, CSU and private colleges. The award is higher if you receive it at UC/CSU/Private college (Access Award and Tuition/Fee Assistance starting second year). It is recommended that you save some of your eligibility for use at UC/CSU . You must enroll in a program that requires at least 24 semester credits or more.

Cal Grant C: up to $1094 for students enroll in an approved Occupational/Technical Program at least 4 months in length to be used to pay for books, supplies, equipment, and other college costs.

Students with Dependent Children under the age of 18: (available starting 2019-2020) Cal Grant students who provide more than 50% or more financial support to a dependent child that is less than 18 years old by July 1, 2021 for the 2021-2022 award year may be eligible for an access award of up to $6000 for Cal Grant A/B and up to $4000 for Cal Grant C at UC, CSU, and CCC.

Students must enroll in 6 credits and meet all Cal Grant A, B or C eligibility requirements to receive the award. To receive the maximum award, students must enroll full time.

As a Cal Grant A/B recipient, you may receive up to the equivalent of four years of full-time grant payments if you are a first time college student. The duration of your eligibility will be adjusted based on your educational level at the time you receive your first Cal Grant payment. Cal Grant C recipient can receive up to two years of full time grant payments.

More information about Cal Grant amounts can be found at

Cal Grant Eligibility Requirements:

  • submit the FAFSA or CADAA application and your verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen or meet AB540 eligibility criteria
  • be a California resident for 1 year
  • attend a qualifying California college
  • not have a bachelor’s or professional degree
  • have financial need at the college of your choice
  • have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • not be incarcerated
  • maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

When will I know if I am qualified for a Cal Grant?

After you apply, you can track the status of your Cal Grant application online by using WebGrants for Students. Log on to set up your personal, confidential account.

If you met the Cal Grant application requirements and qualify for a Cal Grant, you’ll receive an award letter, also known as the California Aid Report, or CAR. If you qualify for a Cal Grant Entitlement award and your application was received on time and needs no corrections, you should receive a CAR by the end of March or early April. If you have not heard from the Commission by April 30, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or e-mail to check your application.

If you’re applying for a Cal Grant Competitive award (you aren’t a high school senior and you didn’t graduate from high school the previous year or you plan to attend a California Community College and missed the March 2 deadline), you should receive a CAR by the end of May. If you have not heard from the Commission by mid-June, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or e-mail to check on the status of your application.

If you’re applying to renew your Cal Grant, you should receive your notification for renewal by mid-July. If you are a renewal Cal Grant student and you have not heard from the Commission by August 1, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or e-mail

Grant C award offers will be made by the end of June.


Student's file must be completed before your aid can be determined and packaged.

  • If file is selected for verification by the Department of Education (FAFSA)/CSAC (DACAA): student will need to complete all assigned tasks on their Student Form account and their assigned case manager must verify all information, and make any necessary corrections before completing the file.
  • If file is not selected but there is conflicting information: Case Managers will need to resolve any conflicting information by assigning additional tasks on the Student Form account.
  • If file is not selected and no conflicting information: file will be flagged completed by default and will be packaged automatically.
  • Dream Act Student: in addition to completing verification through their Student Forms account (if selected), the student must file AB540 affidavit with Admissions and Records

If you meet all requirements, the award will be posted on your MyOhlone, under Offer Letter.

When will I receive my Cal Grant?

Please check Disbursement Policies/Dates

Cal Grant funding is limited to 4 academic years. In order to graduate in 4 years, you must complete 15 units or more per semester or the equivalent quarter units. Create a plan with your academic counselor to ensure you will graduate in four years.

Student Success Completion Grant

A new grant created by the California Community College Chancellor’s Office beginning with the 2018-2019 academic year, for students receiving full time payment for Cal Grant B & C.

How to apply:

If you are eligible for Cal Grant B/C, you will be considered for the Student Success Completion Grant. Please refer to "How to Apply" section on Cal Grant program.

Eligibility requirements:

  • Must receive full time payment for Cal Grant B or C
  • Must have unmet financial need
  • Maintain FA Satisfactory Academic Progress standards

Award amount:

  • Students enrolled in 12 – 14.99 units – eligible for an additional $649 per semester
  • Students enrolled in 15 or more units – eligible for an additional $2,000 per semester.

When will I receive my SCG?

Please check Disbursement Dates/Deadlines

California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program (DSIG)

Starting 2021-2022 academic year, CSAC has lunched the California Dream Act Service Incentive Grant Program (DSIG) to encourage California Dream Act Applicants (CADAA) with a Cal Grant B award to perform voluntary work at qualifying community or volunteer service organization, and may get awarded. The program awards up to $3,000 per academic year (up to $1,500 per semester) for up to 8 semesters to 2,500 California eligible students.

Eligibility requirements:

1. Must have a completed CADDA for the academic year
2. Must receive Cal Grant B award
3. Must have sufficient remaining financial need*
4. Must meet FA Satisfactory Academic Progress

Remaining financial feed is determined by subtracting the Cost of Attendance minus Expected Family Contribution minus all other grants

How to apply:

1. Complete California Dream Act Application (undocumented/DACA students who meets AB540 requirements are eligible for CADAA)
2. Complete all necessary verification for Cal Grant B award
2. Complete the DSIG application  annually and have the FA office to verify Cal Grant B eligibility as well as the service organization to confirm you are performing volunteer work.
4. Students can volunteer with any of the organization(s) on the List of Service Organizations.  Any Organization not on the List of Service Organizations, can complete and submit the Service Organization Registration form  if it meets the criteria for a qualifying community or volunteer organization.

How to receive the payment:

1. Students can request payment after performing at least 150 hours per semester of community or volunteer service. Students must submit the Payment Request form along with documentation of the service hours performed. Payment request must be signed the FA Office and the Service Organization.
2. Student will be notified when payment is approved
3. School will post the award after verifying all eligibility. The award will be prorated based on the enrollment level determined as for Cal Grant B.
Full Time (12 or more)=$1,500
Three Quarter Time (9-11.5)=$1500*3/4=$1,125
Half Time (6-8.5)=$1500/2=$750
4. School will refund the student on Thursday next week for the award posted a week prior through Bank Mobile.

California Chafee Grant Program

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • If you are/were in Kin-GAP, a non-related legal guardianship, or were adopted, you are eligible only if you were a dependent or ward of the court, living in foster care, for at least one day between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • Have not reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
  • Have not participated in the program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive).

Chafee Grant applications are available on the CSAC website.

Chafee applications are monitor once a week for new applications on the CSAC website. All eligibility criteria are reviewed and certified by the Financial Aid Counselor. Student must be enrolled at least Half time (6 units) at the time the application is reviewed in order for financial aid to certify the grant. Students that are wait listed for courses will not be certified until enrollment in the course has been approved by the course instructor.

All checks received by the financial aid office will be given directly to the student to use for their educational expenses. Students will be contacted by the Financial Aid Office once checks are received and instructed that they will either be able to pick up their checks directly from the financial aid office, or have the option to have them mailed to their current address on file with us. For students picking up their checks at the school, students will need to sign for the checks upon receipt. If the student indicates they would like it mailed, then a PDF of the check will be emailed to the student to sign electronically and email back to Financial aid before a check will be sent in the mail.

If you have any question or concerns, you may contact Spencer Washington at

Cooperative Agencies and Resources for Education (CARE)

The CARE program is sponsored as an EOPS support service. Students who are single parents with children under the age of fourteen (14) and receive TANF benefits are eligible to apply.

The program offers monthly support groups, workshops, auto repair vouchers, and financial assistance toward child care and transportation costs. You must be an EOPS student to participate in the CARE program.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

This is a state-funded program designed primarily for the recruitment and retention of students affected by educational, language, social, and economic disadvantages.

EOPS provides comprehensive counseling, retention, and transfer services. Students who apply before the semester begins and participate in all services will receive book assistance.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Scholarships

This grant program provides educational benefits to the dependents of California police and other law enforcement officers (Chief of Police, Police Officer, Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff, Marshall, Deputy Marshall, etc.), who have been killed or disabled in the line of duty. Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $11,259 for up to four years

For information and an application, write directly to: California Student Aid Commission, P.O. Box 510845, Sacramento, CA 94245-0845.