Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy - Financial Aid Office


Ohlone Community College


In accordance with the U.S. Department of Education regulations, financial aid recipients must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward the achievement of a degree or certificate. The law and federal regulations require that progress be determined using both qualitative and quantitative measures. All units attempted in any semester of enrollment as specified below at Ohlone Community College (OhloneCC), regardless of aid status, will be counted when calculating both qualitative and quantitative measures of Satisfactory Academic Progress. The student’s academic progress will be evaluated initially, when the application is completed and at the end of each semester after grades have been posted.


  • All financial aid recipients must be enrolled as a classified student in an eligible degree or certificate program of study that is at least 16 credits and 15 weeks in length.
  • Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least 2.0. Units and grades excluded under the Academic Renewal Policy will be included in the calculation of the financial aid GPA.
  • Students must meet and maintain the standards of the Unit Completion Requirement (UCR).
  • Students must not exceed the Time Frame of Aid Eligibility.


  • Students must successfully complete (pass) at least 67% of units attempted for the term (calculation will be rounded down to the nearest percent).
  • All applicable units, including those that transfer from another institution, will be counted towards the UCR calculation.
  • The following grades will be considered as units attempted but not successfully completed: F, W, N, I/F, NC, and any grade considered as a non-passing grade by either the home or the host-institution for consortium credits.
  • An I/F grade is calculated as no unit received until the grade is changed by the Instructor and added to the student’s academic record by the Records Office. If students need the completed grade to change their financial aid status (suspension), they must notify the Financial Aid Office when the grade has been added to their transcript. The Financial Aid Office will not automatically review for incomplete grade changes.
  • Audited classes are not eligible for financial aid and are not counted toward CCR calculation.
  • Students who repeat a course for which they have already earned a passing grade may be allowed to receive funding to repeat that course only ONCE. Repeat courses are counted as attempted units and may negatively impact your UCR as you are only able to earn units for a course one time.

Example: Since Sarah started attending OhloneCC, she attempted 15 credits. She only successfully completed (passed) 11 credits because she withdrew from a few classes and failed one. The calculation is 11 units divided by 15 units equals 73%. Therefore, Sarah has met OhloneCC UCR.


  • Students will be allowed 150% of the number of units required for the completion of their certificate or degree (the calculation will be rounded down to the nearest whole number of units). Students must notify the FAO when changing their major.
  • Students who change their major, without completing their degree or certificate, will have all units previously attempted counted toward their new maximum time frame.
  • ALL attempted units from semesters of previous enrollment at OhloneCC, regardless of aid status, will count toward time frame.
  • Transfer units that are applicable to the current major/degree at OhloneCC will be counted toward time frame.
  • Students who repeat a course for which they have already earned a passing grade may be allowed to receive funding to repeat that course only ONCE. Repeat courses are counted toward a student’s time frame.
  • Audited classes are not eligible for financial aid and are not counted toward time frame.
  • A student is allowed thirty (30) remedial units that are not counted toward the time frame. Remedial courses are program specific, so be sure to check with your Academic Advisor as to if this will affect your specific degree program. ESL courses do not count against the thirty (30) unit limits.

Example: An Associate of Arts (AA) degree requires 60 units. A student is eligible to receive federal Title IV funds for a total of 90 units (60 units X 150% = 90 units).


Students will not be eligible to receive financial aid when on Financial Aid Suspension. Students will be notified in writing that they have been suspended and will remain suspended until they once again meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy standards.


To regain financial aid eligibility, a student must earn sufficient grades and/or complete the necessary units to meet the qualitative (cumulative GPA of at least 2.0) and the quantitative (UCR of at least 67%) minimum requirements. Financial aid eligibility cannot be reinstated for students who have exceeded the maximum timeframe for their degree or certificate. Students must submit a written request for reevaluation if they have been placed on Financial Aid Suspension but have since met the minimum Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy requirements.


A student who is placed on financial aid suspension may appeal the denial of financial aid. In order to do so, the student must follow the
instructions below. After careful review of a student’s appeal, a decision notification will be emailed to the student’s address. A student may appeal up to two (2) times, however the special circumstances stated in the appeal cannot be the same.

  1. To appeal, a student must complete and submit a Ohlone Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal no later than 30 days after receipt of the notice of Financial Aid Suspension.
  2. Provide all information on the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form. Circumstances for which appeals will be considered include, but are not limited to:
    • Illness, injury or other health-related episode or condition that can be documented by a medical profession;
    • Death of a family member or other person of close relation;
    • Circumstances related to an outbreak of COVID-19, including, but not limited to, the illness of a student or family member, compliance with a quarantine period, or the general disruption resulting from such an outbreak;
    • Disabilities verifiable by the Ohlone Student Accessibility Services;
    • Activities associated with a student’s service in the United States Armed Forces or other entity providing essential services to the public;
    • Issues experienced by students transitioning to collegiate academic requirements, which have been resolved or are being remediated with the intervention of Academic Advising.
  3. Log on to Ohlone Student Forms and request an SAP appeal on your portal, or you can ask your Case Manager to request one ofr you. Complete and upload all the required documents for review.
  4. Appeals are reviewed within 7-10 days of being received and a response will be communicated to your preferred email.
  5. If approved, you will be placed on Probation status for the upcoming term and may utilize Federal Financial Aid. Failure to complete the upcoming term within Satisfactory Academic Standards will result in financial aid disqualification.



The chart below demonstrates the minimum number of units required to complete each term in order to achieve a two-thirds completion. For example, if enrolled for 12 units, completion of 9 or more units is required.

Units Attempted   Must Successfully Complete
18-19 13
17 12
15-16 11
14 10
12-13 9
11 8
9-10 7
8 6
6-7 5
5 4
3-4 3
2 2
1 1