Ohlone's 53rd Commencement Ceremony
FRIDAY, MAY 22, 2020, AT 7:00 PM
Ways to access the event:
ONTV, cable channel 28
Click here to view the Virtual Commencement Program: https://www.ohlone.edu/graduation/commencement
Every year the Ohlone Faculty, Staff, and Administration come together to create the pomp and circumstance that makes the commencement ceremony special. This year, we won't be in Epler Gymnasium, but we can still rally around our graduates to recognize their accomplishments. Below are the details of our virtual graduation and ways that you can participate.
What is a virtual commencement?
In general, the commencement ceremony encompasses three key components: place, program, and people.
For the Class of 2020, we have transformed the commencement ceremony.
- PLACE - using all of Ohlone's resources, the commencement will be available online via webstream (see link above), broadcast on ONTV cable channel 28, and Facebook Live through the Ohlone College page.
- PROGRAM - the show must go on! Ohlone's Broadcasting Department provided their expertise to create a virtual program; speakers were pre-recorded at the Ohlone TV Studio (following all protocol required by the current shelter-in-place order).
- PEOPLE - commencement is all about community. Faculty, staff, administrators, friends, and family all gather to pay tribute to Ohlone's graduating class. This is the most challenging component to transfer to a virtual environment.
- ROLL CALL - yes! We will be reading the names of the graduates during the virtual commencement ceremony. We have arranged for customized slides of each graduate who RSVP'd for the ceremony.
- Friends & Family - we are encouraging graduates to plan celebrations, in accordance with the shelter-in-place order for their county. Student Life is providing ideas for this at our Facebook group Ohlone College Class of 2020.
- Faculty & Staff - we will need your support for our event on May 22, 2020. Please see below for specific instructions on how to get involved.
How to get involved on May 22, 2020
Gather together as a community.
Join the Watch Party!
Many platforms provide the ability to watch videos together in real-time and make comments. Ohlone Student Life is going to leverage this to bring the Ohlone family together with our graduates and their families. On May 22, 2020, Ohlone College's Facebook page will be streaming the commencement ceremony on Facebook Live. Student Life will be hosting a watch party for everyone who joins the Class of 2020 Facebook Group. On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, we will send you a link to join the group.
On Friday, May 22, 2020, please join us online and cheer students.
*Please note, participation is optional. You do not have to join the Facebook group to view the commencement ceremony.
Host a watch party.
Yes, we encourage you to celebrate the accomplishments of the Class of 2020. Every student has an instructor who has inspired their educational journey. One of the special moments at Commencement is the connections between graduates and faculty.
Here is a video describing how to host a watch party: https://youtu.be/mFR66lu4Jh8
Who might consider hosting a watch party:
- Cohort Programs
- Faculty Advisors & Clubs who have Facebook pages
- Affinity groups
Return to the Ohlone Graduation home page: