"Health Scams and Myths"
An Evening with Brian Dunning - Psychology Club Speaker Series
Brian Dunning, creator and host of the incredibly popular weekly science podcast, Skeptoid - A Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena at skeptoid.com, examines a wide range of pop-culture myths and urban legends. From Bigfoot, to conspiracy theories, to New Age healing techniques, no topic is safe from Dunning's scientific inquiry.
- Friday, April 16, 2010 at 7:00pm
- Jackson Theatre, Smith Center for the Fine and Performing Arts, Ohlone College, Fremont campus
- Tickets: General Admission $10
- Smith Center Box Office / Information
- Presented by the Ohlone College Psychology Club
In this lecture, Dunning will examine various health claims such as Homeopathic Medicine, the Detoxification Craze and related topics, presenting the scientific data on each, and sharing personal stories about how such non-scientific ideas can wreak havoc upon an unsuspecting public.
Download the brochure for Health Scams and Myths, An Evening with Brian Dunning (PDF).
Bio: Brian Dunning
As the creator of Skeptoid.com, Brian Dunning hosts a weekly podcast in which he critically examines spurious claims in a variety of areas. His training and education in computer science, as well as his work as a consulting engineer have prepared him to do the kind of exhaustive research required to attract an average of 100,000 downloads per week.
Since its genesis, Skeptoid.com generally examines four basic types of popular pseudosciences:
- Consumer frauds: magic jewelry, free energy.
- Urban legends: the Amityville Horror, the Philadelphia Experiment, Bigfoot.
- Alternative medicine: homeopathy, detoxification, reflexology.
- Conspiracy theories: 9/11 Truth Movement, chemtrails.
Brian is the author of two books:
- Skeptoid: Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena
- Skeptoid 2: More Critical Analysis of Pop Phenomena