Important Reminders for F-1 Students - Counseling Department

Immigration and Naturalization Service Requirements

  1. Have a passport which is valid at all times, unless exempt from the passport requirement. You are admitted to the United States for "duration of status". This means you are authorized to remain in the United States for the entire length of time during which you are enrolled as a full-time student in an educational program, up to the completion date listed on your Form I-20.
  2. Report a change of residence to the College and to INS within 10 days of the change.
  3. A non-immigrant student may be readmitted after a temporary absence of five months or less from the United States, if the student is otherwise admissible. You may be readmitted by presenting a valid foreign passport, a valid visa, and either a new Form I-20 or page 4 of the form I-20 properly endorsed for reentry.
  4. Leave the United States by the anticipated completion date shown on Form I-20, or, by that date, apply for a program extension.

Academic Requirements

  1. Continue to carry a full course of study - a minimum of 12 units, unless you have INS authorization to take a lighter load (permitted in exceptional hardship cases). You need specially documented permission in advance to drop below 12 units, e.g. medical problems, or if you need less than 12 units to complete your requirements in your last term at Ohlone.
  2. Remain in good academic standing - complete 12 units with a grade point average of 2.00 or better.

Building 7 stairway with group of 5 students on first day of classes.


  1. Limit employment, both on campus and off, to a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session. As an international student you are eligible to work on campus, and will need a Social Security Number. I can write a letter enabling you to obtain a Social Security number. You should then report this Social Security Number to Admissions and Records.
  2. Refrain from off campus employment without INS authorization. The International Programs and Services office can help you with this documentation, but approval is received only in exceptional cases.

Health Insurance

You are required to maintain valid Health Insurance, and to show proof of it, while a student at Ohlone College.


Please schedule an appointment to work with an academic counselor.

Admissions and Records

Ensure you understand and comply with admission and registration information for F-1 students.