Ohlone College's English Language Institute (ELI) is a full-time, intensive English language program designed for non-native speakers of English.
The ELI program is for students who want to:
- Study English to prepare for their academic, degree studies at Ohlone College or at another educational institution and/or
- Learn English or improve English language skills for academic, professional, and/or personal reasons
Students take a placement test on the Ohlone College campus, prior to their first day of classes. Students may place into one of the following four levels:
- Level 1: High Beginner
- Level 2: Intermediate 1
- Level 3: Intermediate 2
- Level 4: Advanced
Students attend classes five days a week, Monday-Friday (during the Summer term classes are held Monday-Thursday), for 18 class hours per week. The course content, at each level, includes Reading, Vocabulary, Composition, Grammar, Listening, and Speaking.
Students who are accepted to Ohlone College as an ELI student will be given conditional admission to one of Ohlone College's degree programs. This means that if a student successfully completes Level 4, they will satisfy the English language proficiency requirement for admission into Ohlone College. It is not required that a student take the TOEFL or IELTS exam for admission to Ohlone College if they complete Level 4 of the ELI program.
Dates and Costs
|Term||Start Date||End Date||Weeks of Instruction||Tuition Cost (USD)*|
|Fall 2021||August 30, 2021||December 9, 2021||15 weeks||$4,500|
|Spring 2022||January 24, 2022||May 12, 2022||15 weeks||$4,500|
|Summer 2022||June 6, 2022||August 11, 2022||10 weeks||$2,900|
* Subject to Change. Listed cost does not include the following: $40 in administrative fees and Health Insurance Fee. Books and class materials are also to be separately purchased by the student at the start of each term.
How to Apply
- Download the International Student Application
- Complete the International Student Application and gather the supporting documents listed on the Application Checklist (page 3 of the application)
- Submit the application with all supporting documents by one of the following methods:
- Email: Scan (or take pictures) application materials to email@example.com. In the Subject Line write: Applicant's Name, Start Term, and ELI Program. (Preferred method)
- Mail: Ohlone College, International Programs & Services, 43600 Mission Boulevard, Fremont, CA 94539 USA
- Drop-off at the International Programs & Services office: Building 7, 2nd floor, room 7217, Fremont campus
Director, International Programs & Services
Building 7, 2nd floor, Room 7228, Fremont campus
International Program Admissions Coordinator