English Proficiency Requirements
International students whose native language is not English are required to demonstrate proficiency in English before taking academic classes in an Ohlone College degree program. Students who do not meet our English proficiency requirements can begin in our English Language Institute.
English Proficiency Measures
Applicants may demonstrate English proficiency by fulfilling one of the following criteria:
- TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language: Provide a copy of a TOEFL score report that reflects one of the following required scores:
|TOEFL Test||Required Score|
|internet-Based Test (iBT)||57 or higher|
|Computer-Based Test (CBT)||163 or higher|
|Paper-Based Test||490 or higher|
IELTS - International English Language Testing System: Provide a copy of an IELTS score report with an overall band score of 5.5 or higher
- STEP/EIKEN Test in Practical English Proficiency: Submit copy of test results showing a score of 2A or higher
Ohlone College English Language Institute (ELI):
- Successful completion of ELI level 4 courses (the highest level) satisfies the English proficiency requirement to begin an Ohlone College degree program. Visit the ELI webpage for more information.
- Earn a high school diploma from an institution located in a country where English is the official language (for example the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, and New Zealand).
- Provide a high school transcript that shows 3 consecutive years of study and a grade of "C" or better in each English course from an institution whose primary language of instruction is in English, but is located in a country where English is not the official language. Submit a letter from the school stating English is the primary language of instruction or provide the school's website showing English is the primary language of instruction.
- Provide a college or university transcript that shows 1 consecutive year or more and a grade of "C" or better in each English course from an institution whose primary language of instruction is in English or is located in a country where the official language is English. If the college of university is in a country where the official language is not English, submit a letter from the school stating English is the primary language of instruction or provide the school's website showing English is the primary language of instruction.
- Intensive English Language Schools:
Completion of English 101A, an equivalent course, or higher:
- Earn a grade of "C" or better in the course at an accredited U.S. community college or university. Submit an official transcript or transcript copy that includes this information. Applicable only to transfer students.
Submission of Proof of English Proficiency
Degree program applicants: Proof of English proficiency must be submitted at the same time the applicant submits their International Student Application to Ohlone College.
ELI applicants: ELI applicants do not need to provide proof of English proficiency with their International Student Application. However, if an applicant is accepted to the ELI program and later passes the TOEFL or IELTS exam, proof of their English proficiency must be submitted no later than two weeks before the first day of classes. If submitted within this timeframe, the applicant may be able to begin in the Ohlone College degree program.