Question: Can a friend/relative submit and sign the application, if the student is not in the United States?

The student must sign his or her own application, although a friend/relative can submit the application to Ohlone in person or via mail/email.  The application is available for download on our website so students who are located internationally can access it.  International Student Application

Question: Do I have to take the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) test?

No, we have an intensive English program for students who do not have a high English level yet.  Please see our English Language Institute page for more details. If you would like to apply for admission to a degree program only then you must demonstate proof sufficient English proficiency. This may be done via the TOEFL, IELTS or alternative forms of proof. Please see our English Requirements page for more information.

Question: Do you have classes for students who have not yet taken the TOEFL, or obtained the minimum required score?

Yes. The Ohlone College English Language Institute (ELI) serves international students who wish to study English as a Second Language full-time. Please see the English Language Institute page for more details.

Question: I will not have the TOEFL results by your application deadline. What should I do?

Submit the application by the deadline, and indicate on it when the TOEFL results will be available. We will issue your Form I-20 when we receive your TOEFL score and your application is complete.

Question: I have been admitted into the English Language Institute (ELI), but if I obtain the minimum required English proficiency before the start date of classes, may I enroll in a degree program of study directly?

Students who have been admitted into the English Language Institute (ELI) for Fall and Spring semesters are eligible to enroll directly in a degree program of study, without enrolling in the ELI, if they submit proof of English proficiency 3 weeks prior to the start of the semester.

Students who have been admitted into the English Language Institute (ELI) for a Summer term, or a Fall or Spring Mid-Semester term, must enroll in at least one ELI session before being permitted to enroll into a degree program of study. Students with the English proficiency required for direct admission and who are still in their home country also have the option of deferring their start date to the Fall or Spring semester.

Question: I will be living with relatives, so it will not cost me as much to live as the amount you say on the application.

USCIS (Immigration) requires that we have estimated costs for the year's expenses, and we use only one set of figures. You need to show that this amount is available, but you do not pay this amount to the College. You pay your Ohlone College tuition each term when you register.

Question: Am I eligible for financial aid?

International students are not eligible for financial aid. Current Ohlone international students are eligible for some scholarships through the Ohlone Foundation

Question: Can I pay "resident" fees after one year at Ohlone?

No, international students are not eligible for residency, or to pay resident fees. More information on California residency (PDF) is available.

Question: I am an international student at another college wishing to take one course at Ohlone.

If you receive permission from your current school an provide us with the required documents you can enroll as an international concurrent student.  We have a special application that steps you through this process: International Concurrent Student Application

Question: Does Ohlone College have student housing?

Although there is no housing on the Ohlone campus, the College works with International Student Placements (ISP), to provide homestay options to international students. Please visit the Housing Information for International Students page for other housing options.

Question: I already have a Bachelor's or Master's degree. Can I apply to and be admitted by Ohlone College as an F-1 Visa-holding / seeking international student?

Students who have obtained their Bachelor's or Master's degrees in a country other than the U.S. are eligible to apply and be admitted by Ohlone College as an F-1 Visa-holding / seeking international student.

Students who have obtained their Bachelor's or Master's degrees in the U.S. and / or who are on Optional Practical Training (OPT) are generally ineligible to be admitted by Ohlone College as an F-1 Visa-holding international student. Special exceptions may be made on case by case bases. Contact the International Programs and Services office for more information.

Question: Can I transfer credits from another college or university to Ohlone College and use these toward an Ohlone College degree?

Possibly, it depends upon the college or university. Ohlone College Academic Counselors can help you transfer any eligible credits after you've been admitted to Ohlone College.

How to Apply

How to Apply to Ohlone College as an international student.

Skip plugin notice.

Adobe Reader (free) or other browser plug-in/add-on for opening PDF documents is required to open files on this page marked "PDF".