Question: My passport expires next year - what should I do?

You should contact the nearest Consulate for your country, to inquire about the requirements for renewing your passport, including how long the process takes. It is important to have a valid passport at all times. Please visit the International Programs and Services office for any help with this process if needed.

Question: My visa expires next month - how do I renew it?

Your Visa was for your admission into the United States, and you were admitted for "Duration of Status". That means that you are in valid Visa status as long as you are enrolled as a full-time student at Ohlone College, and you do not need to do anything about your Visa at this time.

You cannot renew or extend Visas from within the United States. If you travel outside the United States, you will need a new Visa to return to the U.S. if your current Visa has expired. To apply for a new Visa in this case, you will need a current passport, a valid Ohlone Form I-20, and an updated Financial Affidavit and bank documentation.

Question: My Ohlone I-20 expires at the end of the semester - what should I do?

You should see a Counselor and obtain an updated Student Education Plan, showing when you will complete your Ohlone education.

You should e-mail International Programs and Services Coordinator Kristi Radke, at kradke@ohlone.edu, for an appointment to discuss extending your I-20. You will have to complete and submit an I-20 Extension Request Form. Your I-20 cannot be extended for more than one year.

Question: How do I get a Social Security Number?

A Social Security Number is for employment purposes only. You will need to have a written job offer from an Ohlone department and a letter from the International Programs and Services office. You take these letters with your passport and an Ohlone Form I-20 to apply for a Social Security Number.

Question: How do I get a California Driver's License?

You take your passport and Ohlone Form I-20 to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to apply for a California Driver's License. You are not required to have a Social Security Number to apply for a driver's license. If you will not be driving but would like a California I.D. you can obtain one from the DMV.

Question: Am I eligible for financial aid?

F-1 Visa-holding international students are not eligible for financial aid, but you may wish to consider applying for scholarships.

Question: Can I pay "resident" fees after one year at Ohlone?

No, international students are not eligible for residency, or to pay resident fees.

Question: Can I work off campus?

You can work off campus only with special permission from USCIS (Immigration). It is important that you do not work off campus without permission, as that is grounds for termination of your Form I-20 and, ultimately, possible deportation.

There are specific situations in which you may be approved to work off-campus, such as those relating to unexpected economic hardship caused by a significant change in your and/or your family's circumstances. Students are also eligible to apply to work in their field for one year following graduation-this is known as Optional Practical Training.

Question: I am going home for the vacation.

Make sure that your passport, Visa and Ohlone I-20 are current. Submit a competed International Travel Form to the International Programs and Services office at least one week before traveling, and bring your I-20 in to obtain the required signature on page 3.