The Department of Library Science is part of the Language, Communication, and Academic Success Division. Library courses fulfill the general education Information Competency requirement.
- LS101 - Steps to Successful Research
- 1 unit; F-S; 9 hrs lab; Prerequisite: None; Corequisite: None; Advisory: Elig. for ENGL 151B and ENGL 163
- Accepted for Credit: UC and CSU
This six-week online course introduces students to the research process. Students choose a topic, design a research strategy, find and evaluate print and non-print sources relating to their topic and create an annotated bibliography as a final project. Students need access to a computer and will need to make two library visits. Please see this example course syllabus for more information (the course syllabus distributed each section will provide more specific information for that section). (CR)
- LS151 - Internet for Research
- .5 Unit; F-S; Cross-Referenced Course: CS 151; 9 hrs lecture (Total for term); Prerequisite: None; Corequisite: None; Advisory: CS/BOT 153 or equivalent
(This course is normally offered in a short-term format). This course presents instruction in the use of the Internet as an alternate to traditional college-level learning resources. It will teach skills and strategies for finding and retrieving information on the Internet.