In attendance: Debbie Trigg, Mark Lieu, Kathleen Schoenecker, Ann Burdett, Laura Weaver, Jennifer Harper, Deborah Griffin, Wayne Takakuwa and Ron Travenick.
College Council Sub-Committee on Student Success/Equity (Mark & Debbie)
- Tasked with evaluating the data Mike Bowman presented on student success
- Looked at the gap between certain ethnicities
- Discussed possibility of mandating a student-service centered class for all new students
- Possibility of making this a "General Education" discipline course that all faculty could teach
- Just projections as we are waiting for the Governor's budget in May
- Ron will get further clarification on the funds listed as match now that we have more clarification of what is allowed in this formula
- Ron asked the committee to come up with what we need to deliver new services (i.e. IT help, counseling, tutoring, etc.)
- Wayne suggests we put these budget items into our Student Success Plan as we draft it
- We already know we need more IT support to implement our student success changes
- About 1000 students went through orientation in Spring (130 of these were online)
- Proposal for all new applicants to automatically be enrolled in the online orientation Blackboard shell moving forward (this will help the delay students had in getting enrolled in this shell for Spring)
- We get about 5000 new student applicants for Fall and about 1500-2000 of these students will need orientation
- Kathleen verifies we can exempt individual students from particular services now (i.e. orientation) and still mandate they complete other services (i.e. assessment, counseling)
- Jesse is working with admission to change the emails new students receive to ensure different groups get better information (i.e. special populations, new to college, new transfers)
- New approach of combined assessment/orientation works for new to college students
- New transfer students will be invited to bring in prior records to counseling for advising/assessment and then attend separate orientation-only orientations
- We will exempt students returning to Ohlone from orientation
- Our first orientation will happen after Freshman Days which are 5/16 & 5/17
- Jesse, Jen & Wayne will look at adding PD classes or positive attendance options as a way to generate enrollment and improve student success
Future Meeting Schedule - Room 7340, 10-1130am
March 13, 2014 Presentation of SSSP draft (Wayne), Orientation Exemption (Jesse), Get It Done Day/Staff development follow-up (Wayne/Mark).
- April 3, 2014
- April 17, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- May 15, 2014
Kathleen has been asked to update codes. Jen will train the department on 2/25/14 to begin using new codes. Kathleen will look into the online counselor "platform" within SARS and report back at a later date.
- Kathleen Schoenecker
IT needs to re-write the registration priorities program rule to identify 2nd semester probation/subject to dismissal/dismissal students by April 2015 to make sure their registration priority is removed for next term. There have also been errors found in this program that Kathleen/IT have been made aware of.
- Lenore Landavazo
We need to identify students at risk of losing their BOG fee waivers to make sure we are notifying them and offering them the appropriate services.
It met with Jen & Wayne back in Spring 2013 to draft a new proposal for the Student Profile interface which would help clean up "declared program", "major" and academic standing information. This project is on the IT prioritization list. We are waiting for IT to re-prioritize this project.
Committee will be forming under College Council and direction from Ron.
- Debbie Trigg
- Mark Lieu
We are moving forward with adopting Ellucian's student planner as our initial student system. We plan to re-evaluate our options once MAP and other state-wide systems are available in 3-4 years. This system will require an evaluation of our degree audit system, articulation and testing
ESEPs & SEP Workshops
We need to develop policies and procedures for ensuring all students with 15 or more units are offered the opportunity to complete education plans. This needs to be put into draft form which is due to Wayne on March 7th, 2014.
A new type of orientation was piloted for Spring 2014. There is also a new online orientation available to students. We are looking at implementing late-start PD classes to help accommodate students who miss orientation and enroll before going through the process. The committee will also look at offering .5 unit PD courses and/or positive attendance options for students completing matriculation. We also need to look further at the best way to provide iSEPs to new students.
- Kathleen S. (IT)
SSSP Plan (due October 17, 2014)
The committee will need to tie all projects/plans together and write a SSSP plan to be approved by College Council, Senate, etc. Parts of the comprehensive plan have been assigned and drafts are due to Wayne by March 7, 2014. The committee will review the comprehensive plan on March 13th, 2014.
- Mark Lieu
Part of the new legislature requires us to help the entire campus community look at student success issues and how we can all play a role in their success. The committee is putting together a plan to start disseminating this information across the campus. This includes presentations to college council, faculty senate and future staff development training. Presentations were made to college council and faculty senate in Fall 2013. Ron and Wayne will develop a staff development workshop for April 2014. We are also working on a college-wide staff development "day" in the fall where all faculty will focus on equity & student success within their program/course evaluation work.
Counseling Position Proposal
We'd like to pull our data (i.e. how many students we currently see for SEPs, etc. and compare it to those we are now mandated to see) and push forward with position proposals for more counseling monies (part time and/or full time). Can include a counselor to caseload Basic Skills work, Financial Aid and, perhaps, someone to run an early alert/intervention program. Jen and Wayne will meet with Leta to discuss the current prioritization process in April.
- Susan Myers
WebAdvisor Error Message Updates
Using the current error message list to try and improve the communications we give out to students
- John Mullen/Laura?
Ongoing - Budget
A preliminary budget has been approved and continues to be revised as the state directs other money our way.
Future/Ongoing Topics for Committee
- Student Equity (moving to a new committee under College Council)
- Follow up on: matriculation exemptions, WebAdvisor error messages, orientation blocks
- MIS/SARS data: what do we need to capture; how to reflect this in SARS
- Student Services divisions discussion on new matriculation processes within individual programs (i.e. requiring SEP for registration priority)
- Confidentiality DSPS vs. EOPS vs. General = duplication of services
- XAP application updates/focusing on new educational goals
- Technical Priorities list