Ohlone College Multimedia and Graphic Arts Department

Getting Started

Q. How do I start?

You begin by applying for admission to Ohlone College (visit the Admissions and Records website for more information). Once your application has been processed, you will be able to register for classes in the next available term.

Q. Do I also have to apply for admission to the multimedia programs?

No, just sign up for the courses required for the degree or certificates you want to complete.

Q. How much will it cost?

Because we are part of the California Community College system, our fees make us the best deal in higher education. Our fees may vary based upon your residency status. Visit Admissions and Records for more information.


Q. What are the prerequisites to enter the Multimedia programs?

They vary depending on the course. Review academic requirements in the Catalog and in the Curriculum Guides. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and discuss their long-range academic plan.

We strongly recommend that before taking our courses, you have acquired at least basic computer user skills such as saving files, using the mouse, and copying documents from the computer to a floppy disk.

Q. Can I waive a prerequisite for a Multimedia course?

Completing a prerequisite will help you acquire specific skills and knowledge so that you can be ready for the course.

Some prerequisites could be waived if you are familiar with the course content or if you have taken a similar course somewhere else. You need to consult the instructor (of the course that requires the prerequisite) or contact Katherine Lee.


Q. How many multimedia classes could I take per semester?

Keep in mind that multimedia is a challenging curriculum involving many creative, labor-intensive projects and assignments.

If you are a full-time student, 12-16 units (3-4 multimedia courses) are the most you should attempt particularly in your first semester.

If you are a part-time student with a full-time job, we recommend that you take 3-8 units (1 or 2 multimedia courses).

Q. What classes are recommended on my first semester?

We highly recommend that you enroll in MM-102A Multimedia I along with another course such as MM-162 XHTML, or MM-105 Web Site Design, or MM-110 Digital Video for Web and DVD, and/or the Graphic Arts course of your choice. More about Courses in the Multimedia program.

Q. How often do Multimedia classes meet?

Multimedia classes usually they meet once a week for 3 hours. Then, you do 2-3 hours of lab each week at your own pace in the open lab located in Hyman Hall, Room HH-119 on the Fremont campus

Multimedia Degrees and Certificates

Q. How do I apply for my degree or certificate?

You can apply for a degree or certificate a few weeks before you complete all of the required courses (course grades will be entered by instructors upon completion). You can also apply after you have completed all of the courses. Visit Apply for Degrees or Certificates for additional information.

Q. Can I take different courses not listed for the degree or certificate and still earn that degree or certificate?

It may be possible, but you need to get approval from Walt Birkedahl (Dean, Arts and Social Sciences Division).

Q. Can I take a course at a different community college and apply it towards my degree or certificate?

It may be possible, but you need to get approval from Walt Birkedahl (Dean, Arts and Social Sciences Division). You may be asked to submit official transcripts as well as samples of the multimedia work developed in the course.

Hardware and Software

Q. Do I have to buy a computer and software to enroll in the Multimedia courses?

No, while you are enrolled at Ohlone, you have access to the open lab in the Hyman Hall Technology Center. The open lab is available for student use nearly 70 hours per week, and it has all the hardware and software applications you'll need to complete your course of studies. Visit the Instructional Computer Studies Lab website.

Q. Does Ohlone College provide free copies of the multimedia software?

No, if you want to use the software at home, you have to purchase your own copy. The Ohlone College Bookstore sells software at educational prices. Visit the Ohlone College Bookstore.