Q. What do I need to do before attending a session?

Students need to turn in an Ohlone College application and receive an Ohlone student ID number before attending a session.

Important! Students must reserve a space for a scheduled session in advance. Space is limited.

Q. What do I need to bring to the session?

These two items are required!

  1. All students need to bring a picture ID such as a school ID, driver's license, identification card or passport.
  2. All students must also have an Ohlone College Student ID Number. You will receive your Student ID Number by email after you submit your application. If you have not received your Student ID Number, email the Admissions Office at admissions@ohlone.edu. You will not be allowed to take the test without an Ohlone College Student ID Number.

Q. Where is the location of the placement Center?

The placement Center is located on the Fremont campus, Building 7, 2nd Floor, Room 7205. Sessions are also held at the Newark Campus 2-3 times a month. Please refer to the schedule.

Q. Are cell phones, calculators, dictionaries, word translators, and other kinds of study aids allowed?

No. Students will be provided with scratch paper and a pencil to work out problems or take notes. For math, there will be an online calculator available when the students can use it. Scratch paper will be collected at the end of the session. Cell phones MUST be switched off before entering the Center.

Q. What happens when the time and date that I want to make a reservation for is not listed in the reservation system?

If the date and time you want to reserve is not listed in the online reservation system, it is likely that the time slot is full. In this case, students are welcome to arrive at the start of the session to place themselves on the waitlist. If a student with a reservation does not show or cancels, we will accommodate those on the waitlist on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Q. How long will the placement process take?

The placement process is not timed and it depends on the student’s experience and skill. The average time is 2.5 hours for both English and Math.

If the student does not finish by the time staff needs to leave, the student can attend another future session. The system will retain the student’s progress and resume from where he/she left off for no more than a two-week period. If more than two weeks have passed, a student will need to start over.

The ESL Placement Process takes approximately 4.5 hours. See ESL for more details.

The Chemistry Placement Test is timed at 45 minutes. Students must finish the test in one sitting.

Q. The reservation website has English and math listed together. Do I have to take both? What if I only need an English placement?

The schedule for the English and math are the same. Students need to make only one reservation. When you arrive to the session, please let the Placement Center staff know which subject you would like a placement for.

Q. I’m a Pre-RN, PTA, or RT applicant. What do I need to take?

Applicants to the Registered Nursing, Physical Therapist Assistant, or Respiratory Therapist programs need a Reading Comprehension placement. Let the proctor know you need to complete Reading Comprehension only.

Q. I am an independent or long-distance college student. Does Ohlone's Placement Center offer proctoring services?

The Placement Center does not offer proctoring services.

Q: When will I get my results?

For the English, math and ESL course placements, students will receive their results the same day. For the Chemistry test, results are usually available in 1-2 business days online via the student’s Web Advisor account, under Test Summary.

Q: I’ve misplaced my test results and I need another copy. How do I get one?

Students can access their results online via their Web Advisor accounts, under Test Summary. For those requiring a copy for another school, please see Placement Results.

Q: I can't make it to the scheduled sessions. Does the Placement Center have more hours open?

Due to limited staffing, the current testing schedule represents what is available. No individual appointments are scheduled.

Also due to limited space, students must cancel their reservation through the reservation system to free up space for others if they cannot make the session.

Q: Can a student use the computerized placement tool more than once?

Please refer to the Retest Policy.

Q. How can I receive a course placement without taking the computerized assessment?

Students may waive the computerized assessment if they have taken specific college level courses or accepted course placements from other community colleges. Please refer to Placement Waivers for more information.

Q. Can recent high school graduates (within the last 5 years) use high school grades and courses to determine placement for English and Math?

Recent high school graduates (within the last 5 years) can use high school grades and courses to determine placement for English and Math.

Q. Who is eligible to use high school transcript information for English and Math placement?

  1. 1. Students who are currently attending high school and have completed the 9th - 11th grades at a US high school.
  2. 2. Students who have graduated from high school within the past 5 years and have completed at least the 9th - 11th grades at a US high school. 
  3. Note: Students with international or adult school coursework are NOT eligible for placement using high school transcript information.

Q. What high school transcript information is used to place students in English and Math?

  1. English placement is primarily based on high school cumulative GPA, with some consideration given to completed high school English courses.
  2. Math placement is based on high school cumulative GPA and math course completion (passing the second semester with a C or better grade).

Q. What if high school grades and courses were not considered during my English and/or Math assessments?

See a drop in counselor to complete the multiple measures petition. Bring a copy of your unofficial high school transcript showing you have completed at least the end of 11th grade. The counselor will inform you of your eligibility for multiple measures and your possible revised course placement.

Q. What information is required for English and Math placement using high school transcripts?

An unofficial copy of your high school transcript showing graded coursework at a US high school, from 9th grade through at least the end of the 11th grade, and your overall GPA (weighted or unweighted).