ESL Placement Process
The ESL Placement Process at Ohlone College is a form of self-guided placement. This means that there is no placement test. Instead, you will make a decision about which classes are best for you. In this process, we encourage you to take your time and think carefully about each step.
You will be asked to evaluate your own skills and abilities in using English, and you should do this honestly to get the best possible results. You will look at samples of readings, real students’ writing, and listening material for students who are starting each level in the ESL program.
Tips for taking the self-guided placement – ESL Self-Placement Form:
- Take your time to read each page carefully, and click on "Next Button" to go to the next page.
- Respond to each question by clicking the "Radio Button" :
- Read the reading and writing samples by checking the "Checkbox" : The samples will show up on your screen after you checked the box.
- For the Listening sample, click on "Play Button" to play the audio. Remember to turn up the volume of the device you are using.
- Answer the questions at the bottom of the page honestly when deciding which classes you think are the best for you.
- You may go back to the page before by clicking on "Previous Button"
We look forward to welcoming you into ESL classes at Ohlone College!
Click on the button to start.
On the first day of each ESL class, the teacher will ask students to do some reading, writing, listening, and/or speaking tasks to help determine if you have chosen the right level class. If a change is needed, it can be done.
If you have any problems with this process, or if you would like to talk with an ESL teacher for more advice after you go through it, you can request an appointment by sending an email to Connie Olsen at firstname.lastname@example.org.