Q. How long is the Physical Therapist Assistant Program?

Four semesters over two academic years.

Q. When can I apply to the Physical Therapist Assistant Program?

Applications are accepted at the PTA Program office from March 1 through April 30 for the next Fall semester class.

Q. How many students are accepted each year to the PTA Program?

The PTA Program accepts up to 24 students each Fall semester.

Q. What are my chances of getting into the PTA Program?

Upon fulfilling the requirements for admission and successfully completing and submitting the PTA application packet, Ohlone College is required to conduct an admission by lottery process. This means that all applicants who qualify have an equal chance of being admitted. The program receives an average of 85 applications per year. About 15% do not qualify due to lack of completion of pre-requisites. The program accepts up to 24 students per year from the qualified pool. Not all students who are selected enter the program. These vacant spots are filled from an alternate waitlist.

Q. Do I have to take a Test before entering the PTA Program?


At Ohlone College we are pleased to announce that all students will soon have an opportunity to place in transfer-level English and Math using a “new” assessment tool. This will be effective Summer and Fall 2019 enrollment.

With the newly enacted Assembly Bill 705, students will receive a placement using high school records or self-reporting assessment.

Please stay tune as we will continue to update you while the college is reviewing tentative placement models to be adopted in Spring 2019.

Learn more about AB705 in the link below:


Q. Do I have to take Anatomy and Physiology?

Students must complete, at the very minimum, the first semester of the two part series of BIOL-103A and BIOL-103B (or an equivalent course at another institution) with a grade of "C" or better. The second semester of the series may be "in progress" at the time of the application, but must be completed by the end of that semester with a grade of "C" or better. A second option requires you take BIOL-104 Basic Human Anatomy and Physiology (or equivalent) and then enroll in an additional 4-unit Anatomy course with a lab. If the course work was not completed at Ohlone College, check with an Ohlone Counselor to make sure the courses are equivalent to the Ohlone College courses. Anatomy and Physiology prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of "C" or better within the past five (5) years.

Q. What other courses are required for admission to the PTA Program?

Introduction to Physical Therapy (PTA-101) is a required course prior to admission into the Physical Therapist Assistant Program.* Ohlone College's PTA Program requires any transferable "Intro to Physical Therapy" course be 3 units, with 1 unit of laboratory, if taken at another institution.

Students must also meet the requirements for an Associate in Science degree to graduate [see PTA Curriculum Guide].

* Unless you have a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study (i.e., Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, etc). If you do have a B.S. degree in a related field, you may apply without the PTA-101 pre-requisite completed. If you are admitted into the PTA Program, you will then be concurrently registered into PTA 101 during the first semester.

Q. What grade point average (GPA) is needed to apply to the PTA Program?

A college GPA of 2.7 is required.

Q. Do I need any special supplies for the PTA Program?

The students may purchase an APTA Kit for Physical Therapist Assistants. This kit contains a gait belt, goniometer, reflex hammer, Thera-band material, and other items typically used in the field. The kit may be purchased during the PTA-101 course or at the beginning of the Program in the Fall semester from the APTA. Students are also required to possess a lab coat and an identification badge.

Q. How long is the PTA Program?

The PTA Program requires that the students be involved in class and clinical work for two full years. There are no classes held during the summer.

Q. Are there jobs as a graduate from the PTA Program?

The recently released U.S. News & World Report Best Jobs 2016 list ranks 100 of the best jobs, and job satisfaction for Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants (ranked #25) are included among the top 100. PT and OT/OTA Rank Among Top 25 in “100 Best Jobs” List.

Q. Does Ohlone College offer its Physical Therapist Assistant Program on-line?

No. While all of the courses in our curriculum have on-line information (course syllabi, schedules, general information, etc.) and some of our courses have an on-line component (assignments, lecture handouts, self-tests, etc.), the nature of the physical therapy profession demands that our curriculum have hands-on, laboratory-based content in addition to clinical education experiences. Therefore, we cannot put our entire curriculum on-line.

Q. Is the Physical Therapist Assistant Program accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)?

YES! The Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Ohlone College is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE), 3030 Potomac Ave., Suite 100; Alexandria, VA 22305-3085; telephone:  1.800-999-2782; email: accreditation@apta.org; website: http://www.capteonline.org. If needing to contact the PTA Program directly, please call (510) 742-3103 or email Zelma Hunter (zhunter@ohlone.edu).     

Q. I still have questions. Who can I contact for more information?

For general program information or PTA Program admission materials, please contact Zelma Hunter in the Health Sciences and Environmental Studies Division at (510) 742-3103 or at zhunter@ohlone.edu.

For counseling information or information about prerequisites or equivalencies for courses taken at other colleges or universities, please make an appointment with an Ohlone Counselor by calling (510) 742-2341 (Newark campus) or (510) 659-6110 (Fremont campus).*

For information regarding admission to Ohlone College (not specifically the PTA Program), please contact Admission and Records.

* Applicants from out of state or out of the area will be eligible to apply and must have a PTA Academic Evaluation form filled out by an Ohlone Counselor attached to their application.