Please direct all admissions related questions to: Zelma Hunter (email@example.com). During the business week, we will respond to your questions within 24 hours.
Respiratory Therapy Information Nights
The program will be held online Monday, November 2nd
*** Respiratory applications for cohort starting fall 2021 will become available in January 2021 ***
If you need transcripts evaluated or help from one of Ohlone’s counselors, virtual appointments are available: https://www.ohlone.edu/counseling/virtualcounseling
Help people breathe more easily! Become a respiratory therapist!
In the heart of Silicon Valley, Ohlone College’s Respiratory Therapy program features state-of-the-art equipment, instructors who work in the field, and an unparalleled simulation lab.
Respiratory Therapy (RT) is a health care specialty directed at the diagnosis, treatment, management, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardio respiratory system. Explore one of the top RT programs in the nation at an upcoming orientation meeting.
*** Monday, November 2nd and Monday, February 15th, 2021 ***
FREE & Open to the Public
Ohlone College Newark Center
39399 Cherry Street, Newark (Newark Campus Maps & Directions)
Room NC-2222, 2nd Floor, Wing 2
- Learn about the program and admissions process
- Interact with the program director, faculty, and current students
- Tour the simulation lab
- Hear Ohlone RT alumni experiences
- Learn about career opportunities in the field
- Enjoy light refreshments
Important: Please be sure to purchase a $4 daily parking permit from one of the permit machines in the parking lots.
Due to the Covid-19 (CoronaVirus), Ohlone College will be accepting provisional electronic submission of applications and transcripts during the spring 2020 admissions cycle for the cohort starting in August 2020. We evaluate candidates based on submitted materials, but in order to gain full acceptance into the program, the applicant must submit official hard copies of the application and official transcripts which are only official as long as they have not been opened. Ohlone College cannot accept electronic transcripts only.
Once you have submitted an electronic application, we encourage everyone to continue with the submission of hard copy documentation, via post office.
- The 2020 RT Applications are now available. RT Application Form
- RT Program Application Requirements. Please carefully read about the RT Program Application Requirements
- Application are due April 30, 2020
- Please contact counseling for information regarding RT program prerequisite courses: Fremont counseling (building 7, 3rd floor) 510 659 6110 or Newark counseling (wing 3, 1st floor) 510 742 2340
The Respiratory Care Practitioner is a licensed allied health care professional specializing in cardio-pulmonary evaluation and treatment. In only two years you can master the knowledge and skills which will prepare you for a fulfilling job taking care of patients. Graduates from the Ohlone College program find a career that is well-paid, flexible and transferable to any state in the US.
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills necessary to assist the physician in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of patients with cardiopulmonary diseases and disorders.
- Demonstrate appropriate critical thinking skills, time management skills, interpersonal communication skills, and technical skills necessary to provide competent respiratory care in multidisciplinary care settings.
- Qualify for licensure in the state of California.
- Qualify nationally for Registered Respiratory Therapist status.
- Integrate intentional, respectful communication with caring presence to effectively relate with individuals, families, groups, communities, and colleagues of diverse sociocultural backgrounds in various healthcare settings.
“To prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).”
Upon completion of the program graduates are eligible to sit for examinations administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care. Once the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential has been attained graduates are eligible for licensure by the state of California as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
This program is based on a selective admission process and involves prerequisite courses and a special application for admission. Applicants are selected once a year in the spring and begin the course of study each Fall Semester. For program application contact the Health Sciences Division Office.
Respiratory Therapist Degree
Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree
Review a sample listing of Courses in this area of study. Review academic requirements in the Catalog and in the Curriculum Guides. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and discuss their long-range academic plan.
Apply for a Degree or Certificates
Are you finishing your associate degree or certificate? Please review How to Apply for a Degree or Certificate.
RT Program Application Requirements
Please carefully read about the RT Program Application Requirements that begin for Fall 2020 Semester applicants. Please note these important changes to Ohlone's RT Program Application Process:
The following courses are prerequisite requirements for application to the Respiratory Therapist Program:
- BIOL-103A and BIOL-103B (Human Anatomy and Physiology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- BIOL-106 (Microbiology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- CHEM-109 (Biochemistry for Health Science and Biotechnology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- MATH-153 (Intermediate Algebra) or equivalent must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- PSY-108 (Developmental Psychology) (or equivalent 3-unit Developmental Psychology course) must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- The above requirements are in addition to the following Support Courses:
- ENGL-101A (Reading and Written Composition) with a grade of "C" or better,
- The following is a recommended course prior to entering the Program:
- COMM-111 (Public Speaking) or COMM-113 (Interpersonal Communication) with a grade of "C" or better. This requirement is highly desirable.
*Prerequisite and Support courses may be "In Progress" at the time of application. These courses must be completed no later than the end of the Spring Semester during the year of application. Your coursework may require a substitution waiver and this must be included in your Respiratory Therapy application packet when you turn it in. Please click the following link for information regarding this process: substitution waiver form.
Contact the Respiratory Therapist Program
|Elizabeth Postovit, MS, RRT-NPS
Room NC2230, second floor, Wing 2, Newark Center
Harleen Toor, BSHA-HIS, RCP-ACCS
|Director of Clinical Education
Room NC2225, second floor, Wing 2, Newark Center
- Allied Health
- Ohlone College Catalog
- Registered Nursing
- Physical Therapist Assistant
The Respiratory Therapist Program strongly believes in academic honesty and will exercise the department's rights when students are found cheating. Read Ohlone College's Academic Honesty Procedure.