Respiratory Therapy VIRTUAL Open House – Monday, November 1, 7-8:30pm
Explore one of the top Respiratory Therapist (RT) programs in the nation. Learn about the program and admissions process, interact with the program director, faculty, and current students. Learn about career opportunities in the field. FREE virtual event. Live on Zoom. Registration required. FIND OUT MORE.
Respiratory Therapy Application
Applications for 2022 will go online on or before January 15, 2022.
Applications for fall 2021 closed on: April 30, 2021. Find out more.
If you need transcripts evaluated or help from one of Ohlone’s counselors, click here for virtual appointments.
Help people breathe more easily! Become a respiratory therapist!
In the heart of Silicon Valley, Ohlone College’s Respiratory Therapy program features state-of-the-art equipment, instructors who work in the field, and an unparalleled simulation lab.
Respiratory Therapy (RT) is a health care specialty directed at the diagnosis, treatment, management, and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardio respiratory system. Explore one of the top RT programs in the nation at an upcoming orientation meeting.
7:00 - 8:30pm
- Learn about the program and admissions process
- Interact with the program director, faculty, and current students
- Videos from state-of-the-art simulation lab
- Hear Ohlone RT alumni experiences
- Learn about career opportunities in the field
Event Contact: Elizabeth Postovit (link sends e-mail)
The next application period will open on February 1, 2022. You will turn in those applications into the Health Sciences box located outside the Health Sciences Building at Newark Campus. Please do not send electronic transcripts. Include one set of official, unopened transcript envelopes for every institution attended.
Please contact counseling for information regarding RT program prerequisite courses: Fremont counseling (building 7, 3rd floor) 510 659 6110 or Newark counseling (wing 3, 1st floor) 510 742 2340
The Respiratory Care Practitioner is a licensed allied health care professional specializing in cardio-pulmonary evaluation and treatment. In only two years you can master the knowledge and skills which will prepare you for a fulfilling job taking care of patients. Graduates from the Ohlone College program find a career that is well-paid, flexible and transferable to any state in the US. Learn more about being an RT here
Program Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate the cognitive, psychomotor, and affective skills necessary to assist the physician in the diagnosis, treatment, and management of patients with cardiopulmonary diseases and disorders.
- Demonstrate appropriate critical thinking skills, time management skills, interpersonal communication skills, and technical skills necessary to provide competent respiratory care in multidisciplinary care settings.
- Qualify for licensure in the state of California.
- Qualify nationally for Registered Respiratory Therapist status.
- Integrate intentional, respectful communication with caring presence to effectively relate with individuals, families, groups, communities, and colleagues of diverse sociocultural backgrounds in various healthcare settings.
“To prepare graduates with demonstrated competence in the cognitive (knowledge), psychomotor (skills), and affective (behavior) learning domains of respiratory care practice as performed by registered respiratory therapists (RRTs).”
Upon completion of the program graduates are eligible to sit for examinations administered by the National Board for Respiratory Care. Once the Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) credential has been attained graduates are eligible for licensure by the state of California as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
This program is based on a selective admission process and involves prerequisite courses and a special application for admission. Applicants are selected once a year in the spring and begin the course of study each Fall Semester. For program application contact the Health Sciences Division Office.
Respiratory Therapist Degree
Associate in Science (A.S.) Degree
Review a sample listing of Courses in this area of study. Review academic requirements in the Catalog and in the Curriculum Guides. All students are encouraged to meet with a counselor to review academic program requirements and discuss their long-range academic plan.
$5,300 ‐ $7,000 + optional conferences
*** A reliable car is required to get to and from clinical rotations throughout the program. Cost of maintenance and gas are variable and not included in costs listed for RT program ***
Apply for a Degree or Certificates
Are you finishing your associate degree or certificate? Please review How to Apply for a Degree or Certificate.
RT Program Application Requirements
Please carefully read about the RT Program Application Requirements that begin for Fall 2021 Semester applicants. Please note these important changes to Ohlone's RT Program Application Process:
The following courses are prerequisite requirements for application to the Respiratory Therapist Program:
- BIOL-103A and BIOL-103B (Human Anatomy and Physiology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- BIOL-106 (Microbiology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- CHEM-109 (Biochemistry for Health Science and Biotechnology) or equivalent must be completed or in process at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- MATH-152 or MATH-153 (Intermediate Algebra) or equivalent must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better. Statistics is not a substitute for intermediate algebra. Please see counselor to evaluate prior math courses.
- PSY-108 (Developmental Psychology) (or equivalent 3-unit Developmental Psychology course) must be completed at the time of application with a grade of "C" or better.
- The above requirements are in addition to the following Support Courses:
- ENGL-101A (Reading and Written Composition) with a grade of "C" or better,
- The following is a recommended course prior to entering the Program:
- COMM-111 (Public Speaking) or COMM-113 (Interpersonal Communication) with a grade of "C" or better. This requirement is highly desirable.
*Prerequisite and Support courses may be "In Progress" at the time of application. These courses must be completed no later than the end of the Spring Semester during the year of application. Your coursework may require a substitution waiver and this must be included in your Respiratory Therapy application packet when you turn it in. Please click here to find out more information regarding this process: substitution waiver.
Contact the Respiratory Therapist Program
|Elizabeth Postovit, MS, RRT-NPS
Room NC2230, second floor, Wing 2, Newark Center
Harleen Toor, BSHA-HIS, RCP-ACCS
|Director of Clinical Education
Room NC2225, second floor, Wing 2, Newark Center
- Allied Health
- Ohlone College Catalog
- Registered Nursing
- Physical Therapist Assistant
The Respiratory Therapist Program strongly believes in academic honesty and will exercise the department's rights when students are found cheating. Read Ohlone College's Academic Honesty Procedure.