Ohlone College is committed to the inclusion and accessibility of all students. Ohlone's faculty has a key role in assuring their classes are fully accessible to all students. Depending on the students disability, faculty might be asked to allow for a wide range of reasonable accommodations.
The primary goal of Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is to provide Ohlone College students, faculty, staff and administration with guidance for disability accommodations. Together, we can team up and answer any questions you might have regarding disabilities, faculty rights and accessibility.
The Office of Civil Rights requires the college to inform students with disabilities of the services available to them. They “strongly suggest” that class announcements and syllabus statements are the most effective method
Including a statement in the syllabus also invites a student to discuss their academic needs with you.
The syllabus statement should inform your students that accommodations are available for students with disabilities, you are willing to provide those accommodations, and how they can “get the ball rolling” to receive the accommodations.
Sample Syllabus Statement:
- For an online or remote instruction courses, consider this including this statement in addition to any of the Sample Syllabus Statements below–
“I have made every effort to make this course accessible to all students, including students with disabilities. If you encounter a problem accessing anything in this course, please contact me immediately by email and also contact the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office 510-659-6079 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Students with disabilities, whether physical, learning, or psychological, who believe that they may need accommodations in this class, are encouraged to contact the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office as soon as possible to ensure that such accommodations are implemented in a timely fashion. Authorization, based on verification of disability, is required before any accommodation can be made. The phone number for SAS is (510) 659-6079 and they are located in Bldg. 7, on the First Floor, Room 7122 or you can email them at email@example.com
- Students with disabilities who need academic accommodations are encouraged to privately discuss their authorized accommodations from Student Accessibility Services (SAS) with me. To receive accommodation services, please contact the SAS office at (510)659-6079 or firstname.lastname@example.org SAS is located in Bldg. 7, on the First Floor, Room 7122
- Students who may need an academic accommodation based on the impact of a disability must initiate the request with the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) Office. Students should contact SAS as soon as possible to request and receive accommodations in a timely manner. If you have been approved for accommodations from the SAS office, please meet with me privately to discuss how I can best meet your needs. To receive accommodation services, please contact the SAS office at (510) 659-6079 or at email@example.com SAS is located in Bldg. 7, on the First Floor, Room 7122
- If you prefer, you are welcome to develop our own statement.