Important Update:

Because of COVID-19 restrictions, the SAS Counselors and Staff are primarily providing services and accommodations remotely.

SAS is here to support you


Q. What is SAS?

The Ohlone College Student Accessibility Services (SAS) is designed to open the doors to educational and occupational opportunities for students with disabilities.

Our primary purpose is to provide an opportunity for all individuals to gain maximum benefit from their educational experience. Ohlone College encourages students with disabilities to participate within the limits of their disability in the same activities and courses as other students.

To receive SAS services, students must follow the Eligibility process and must have an open file in SAS and also be currently enrolled in classes at Ohlone College.

Q. How do I know if I am eligible for  SAS?

Title 5, Section 56006 currently outlines the following provisions for the determination of eligibility for SAS services: (a) In order to be eligible for academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, services and/or instruction authorized under this chapter, a student must have a disability which is verified pursuant to subdivision (b) which results in an educational limitation identified pursuant to subdivision (c) of this section.

(b) The existence of a disability may be verified, using procedures prescribed by the Chancellor, by one of the following means:

  1. observation by certificated SAS staff;
  2. assessment by certificated SAS staff; or
  3. review of documentation by certificated staff provided by appropriate agencies or certified or licensed professionals outside of SAS.

(c) The student's educational limitations must be identified by certificated staff and described in the Academic Accommodation Plan (AAP) required pursuant to Section 56022. Eligibility for each service provided must be directly related to an educational limitation consistent with Section 56000(b) and Section 56001.

Q. What are the responsibilities of students with disabilities?

  • Proved SAS with the necessary documentation to verify a disability.
  • Students will request accommodations, alternate media, testing accommodation appointments according to SAS guidelines and timelines.
  • Notify SAS in advance of any absences from class or appointments if you are using interpreters, real-time captioners and/or support service providers.  Failure to notify SAS may result in the loss of service)
  • Return any equipment on loan from SAS at the end of each semester (if the equipment is not returned, students will be held responsible and a hold will be put on their academic records)
  • Students must maintain behavior appropriate in an educational setting.
  • Students must possess the ability to negotiate the campus facilities either independently or with assistance of an attendant provided by the student.
  • Students must possess the ability to take care of personal needs unassisted or to provide an attendant for such purposes.
  • Students must possess a stable level of health in order to benefit from a full semester/term of class participation.
  • Students are to assume personal responsibility of taking any medication.

Ohlone College does not have Special Education classes. You will be enrolled in the same college classes as all students. SAS will work with eligible students to determine the accommodations you may need to assist you in being a successful college student.

Q. Will I get the same accommodations that i get with my high school IEP or 504 plan?

A high school plan, whether IEP or 504, governs the high school setting. When you become eligible for SAS, a SAS counselor will meet with you to discuss your educational limitations and through an interactive process, determine the accommodations you are eligible to receive. You may or may not have similar accommodations as you did in high school.

Q. Does SAS offer personal attendant care or aides in the classroom?

No. Ohlone College makes every reasonable effort to accommodate individuals with disabilities according to applicable federal and state mandates. The college is not required to provide Personal Service Attendants or Aides in the classroom. However, the college does support the provision of such attendants or aides by other community agencies and entities only if the proper procedure is followed. The student will need to initiate a request and provide evidence from a qualified professional verifying how current functional limitations of the disability relate to the need for a Personal Service Attendant or Aide as a reasonable accommodation in a college setting. A Personal Service Attendant or Aide is not considered a student, and the Personal Service Attendant or Aide’s participation in class is limited to assisting the student’s accessibility needs.

Please note that a Personal Service Attendant or Aide is not allowed in the classroom unless they have registered with the SAS office and filled out the Personal Service Attendant or Aide agreement Forms.

For more information and the Personal Service Attendant or Aide Agreement Forms, please contact the SAS Director.

Q. I have a disability that forces me to do things that might be disruptive to my instructors and fellow students. What will happen?

Unfortunately, any disruptive behavior cannot be tolerated in college. If students are disruptive in class, even if it is something they cannot help, the instructor has the right to ask you to leave the classroom. All students must follow the student code of conduct. The Student Code of Conduct is available online. Questions can be directed to the SAS Director and/or the Vice President of Student Services.