A student who has attended Ohlone College but missed a semester (Spring and/or Fall) or longer.

STEP 1. Apply for college.

  • Any student who has missed a semester or longer will need to re-apply to Ohlone College.  You will still have your same student ID number when you return to Ohlone.

STEP 2. Contact the SAS Office, 510-659-6079 or sas@ohlone.edu

  • We may still have your documentation verifying your disability on file or achieved.
  • If we no longer have your documentation on file, we will assist you on how to obtain documentation to verify your disability.
  • You will need to schedule an appointment to meet with a SAS Counselor for an intake appointment to reinstate your file and accommodations.

Welcome back to SAS