State Grant Programs - Financial Aid Office

The State of California, through the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), sponsors several grant programs for undergraduate students. These include Cal Grants, California Chafee Grant, and Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents scholarships.

Ohlone's Federal College Code is 004481.

Available State Grants

Cal Grant Program

What is a Cal Grant?

Cal Grants are state funded programs. The awards do not have to be paid back.

How to apply for a Cal Grant

  • Complete and submit the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For a Cal Grant, the FAFSA must be completed and filed with the federal processor by March 2* of each year.
  • File a verified grade point average (GPA) with the California Student Aid Commission by no later than March 2*.
  • AB540 eligible students must complete the CA Dream Act Application by March 2 deadline to be considered for Cal Grant A/B High School Entitlement (senior high school students and students who graduated within the past two years), Cal Grant B Transfer Entitlement (College students who plan to transfer to four-year school), and Cal Grant C.

*Missed the March 2 deadline? There is a secondary deadline, specifically for California Community College students, September 2. Submit the required forms before the September 2 deadline to be considered for this specific Cal Grant. There is a limited number available.

GPA Submission

Ohlone College submits GPA electrically if you meet all of these requirements:

  1. You have provided a valid Social Security Numbers to Admissions and Records prior to the date the school submit the GPA verification (not required for AB540 students).
  2. You have completed at least 24 transferable credits at Ohlone College or 16 transferable credits at Ohlone College but less than 24 transferable credits.
  3. You completed at least one semester at Ohlone College within the past 5 years.

If you do not have enough credits at Ohlone College, but have previously attended other college(s), you must confirm whether your prior school will file your GPA for you, or obtain a Cal Grant GPA Verification Form, get it certified by a school official at your prior college, and mail it yourself.

Submitting all the required items does not mean you are guaranteed to receive a Cal grant. Your eligibility will be determined by the California Student Aid Commission after the required items have received. Please visit California Student Aid Commission web page to learn more about the process and requirements at about the Cal Grant Program

Cal Grant A
  • Cal Grant A awards provide grant funds to help pay tuition and fees at qualifying institutions offering academic programs of at least two years in length.
  • A Cal Grant A award does not pay at a California Community College (CCC). The awards are held in CCC Reserve status, and are automatically renewed for up to two years enrollment if continued at the community college. Your Cal Grant funds may become available to you when you transfer to a Cal Grant eligible, degree-granting, tuition/fee-charging school, if you meet all the renewal requirements at the time of transfer. You may request a third year of reserve in writing by submitting an appeal form. When you transfer, be sure to update your school of choice on WebGrants for Students (WGS) at
Cal Grant B
  • Cal Grant B awards provide grant funds to help pay for your tuition, student fees and other educational costs in a for credit instructional program of not less than one academic year in length.
  • The Cal Grant B award you receive during your freshman year will pay up to $1,672 per academic year for access costs, such as living expenses and expenses for transportation, supplies and books. Beginning with your sophomore year, Cal Grant B benefits will help you pay for tuition and fees if you attend a public or private four-year college or other qualifying institution.
  • Cal Grant B recipients attending a California Community College (CCC) may receive access costs of up to $1,672. Your Cal Grant B can be worth a lot to you when you transfer to a tuition/fee-charging school. Remember, when you transfer from one school to another, it is critical that you post a school change on WGS at
  • You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to be eligible.
Cal Grant C
  • Cal Grant C awards assist with tuition and training costs for occupational, technical, and vocational programs.
  • The award includes up to $1094 for books, tools and equipment - and up to $2,462 more for tuition and fees if you'll be attending a school other than a California Community College. Funding is available for up to two years, depending on the length of the program.
  • To qualify, you must enroll in an occupational, technical, or vocational program that is at least four months long at a California Community College, an independent college, or a vocational/career school. Even though a GPA is not required to apply for a Cal Grant C, you are still encouraged to submit yours because it can only help your chances of receiving an award.
  • Only if you are potentially eligible for the award, you will receive an email or letter notification asking you to access to complete the online Cal Grant C Supplement in verified Cal Grant GPA by the deadline
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen
  • Be a California resident
  • Attend a qualifying California college
  • Not have a bachelor's or professional degree
  • Have financial need at the college of your choice
  • Have family income and assets below the minimum levels
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll in a program leading to an undergraduate degree or certificate
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll at least half time
  • Have registered with the U.S. Selective Service, if required to do so
  • Not owe a refund on any state or federal grant or be in default on a student loan
  • Maintain the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards as established by the school. Recipients who do not meet the standards are ineligible for Cal Grant payment and will not use eligibility during the terms they are ineligible for payment.

When will I know if I've received a Cal Grant?

After you apply, you can track the status of your Cal Grant application online by using WebGrants for Students. Log on to set up your personal, confidential account.

If you met the Cal Grant application requirements and qualify for a Cal Grant, you'll receive an award letter, also known as the California Aid Report, or CAR. If you qualify for a Cal Grant Entitlement award and your application was received on time and needs no corrections, you should receive a CAR by the end of March or early April. If you have not heard from the Commission by April 30, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or email to check your application.

If you're applying for a Cal Grant Competitive award (you aren't a high school senior and you didn't graduate from high school the previous year or you plan to attend a California Community College and missed the March 2 deadline), you should receive a CAR by the end of May. If you have not heard from the Commission by mid-June, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or email to check on the status of your application.

If you're applying to renew your Cal Grant, you should receive your notification for renewal by mid-July. If you are a renewal Cal Grant student and you have not heard from the Commission by August 1, please call toll free 888.224.7268 or email

Cal Grant C award offers will be made by the end of June.

Full-Time Student Success Grant (FTSSG)

Full Time Student Success Grant provides supplement grant to any Cal Grant B or Cal Grant C recipients who are enrolled in 12 or more units at a California Community College and have remaining unmet need. The initial FTSSG annual award was $600, now has increased to $1000 per year ($500 per primary semester). Eligibility criteria are as follows:

  1. Must be Cal Grant B/C recipient
  2. Must be enrolling in 12 or more credits
  3. Must meet FA Satisfactory Academic Progress

Completion Grant

Enroll in 15 degree-applicable units and you can receive an extra $1,500 with the Completion Grant.

This new grant encourages you to complete your program in two years.

Completion Grant Requirements:

  • You are receiving a Cal Grant B or C
  • You are enrolled in 15 units of degree-applicable units
  • You will need to create a comprehensive SEP (Student Education Plan)

If you have been awarded a Cal Grant, we will email you to make an appointment with your counselor to develop a comprehensive SEP. We will monitor your SEP each term to ensure you are taking classes listed on the SEP.

If you are not able to enroll for 15 degree-applicable units this semester, you can enter the grant program next term. You can also use late start, intersession or summer course work to help meet your 15 units.

Depending on which Cal Grant you are awarded under, you could receive as much as $4,178 in grants:

  • Cal Grant B at full time is $1,672
  • Cal Grant C at full time is $1,095
  • Full-time Success Grant is $1,000
  • Completion Grant is $1,500

California Chafee Grant Program

If you are or were in foster care and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for college or career and technical training. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you're in school.

To be eligible, the student must:

  • be a current or former foster youth and not have reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. The court must have established your dependency when you were between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • have financial need.
  • be enrolled in at least 6 units in an eligible program
  • make satisfactory academic progress
  • file the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Program applications.

Chafee Grant applications are available at the Financial Aid Office. The first step is to

Child Development Grant

The Child Development Grant awards qualified students up to $1,000 annually for students pursuing a child development permit to teach or supervise in a licensed child care center. To be eligible, the student must:

  • be enrolled at least a half-time in approved courses leading to a Child Development Permit.
  • file the FAFSA and the California Child Development Grant Program applications.
  • commit to full-time employment in a licensed children's center in California for a period of one year for each year of grants received.

Cooperative Agencies and Resources for Education (CARE)

The CARE program is sponsored as an EOPS support service. Students who are single parents with children under the age of fourteen (14) and receive TANF benefits are eligible to apply.

The program offers monthly support groups, workshops, auto repair vouchers, and financial assistance toward child care and transportation costs. You must be an EOPS student to participate in the CARE program.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS)

This is a state-funded program designed primarily for the recruitment and retention of students affected by educational, language, social, and economic disadvantages.

EOPS provides comprehensive counseling, retention, and transfer services. Students who apply before the semester begins and participate in all services will receive book assistance.

If you are interested in the EOPS/CARE program, contact the Ohlone College EOPS Office for information.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Scholarships

This grant program provides educational benefits to the dependents of California police and other law enforcement officers (Chief of Police, Police Officer, Sheriff, Deputy Sheriff, Marshall, Deputy Marshall, etc.), who have been killed or disabled in the line of duty. Grant awards match the amount of a Cal Grant award and range from $100 to $11,259 for up to four years

For information and an application, write directly to: California Student Aid Commission, P.O. Box 510845, Sacramento, CA 94245-0845.