Student Responsibilities regarding Counseling - Counseling Department

Did You Know…?

Ohlone has the highest rate of success among its 25 statewide peers of community colleges for students who started a basic skills math course and then were successful in transfer level math. Source: California Community Colleges Student Success Scorecard.

New Students' Responsibilities regarding Counseling

After completing all enrollment steps, including placement testing and orientation, students should make an appointment with a counselor.

Counselors are not assigned to students. Students should select their own counselor to work with on an on-going basis.

Students who are using placement test results from another community college need to submit official documents showing their course placement as well as including contact information of a college official (counselor or placement test coordinator).

Students should prepare for a counseling session by bringing unofficial copies of all transcripts from previously attended colleges and/or universities and by doing some initial exploratory research with regard to short and long-term goals.

Students who want to transfer should identify several institutions they are considering.

Two male students socializing on Ohlone's Fremont campus.

Continuing Students' Responsibilities regarding Counseling

Continuing students should prepare an "Academic Portfolio" folder related to their educational goals and should keep in this folder any paperwork produced during their counseling appointments. Petitions, contracts, or letters that have been submitted or received should also be kept in this folder. Students should bring their Academic Portfolio folder to every counseling appointment.

Students wishing to transfer should be aware of important deadlines, both at Ohlone and the transfer institution, and should solidify their campus choices and confirm these institutions' requirements for transfer, major options, required lower division courses, and required Grade Point Average. Continuing students should also take advantage of Ohlone's Transfer Center and college events and workshops.

Students who have attended Ohlone for three semesters or have completed 15 units of transferable coursework (whichever comes first) are required to have a comprehensive Student Education Plan (cSEP). A cSEP is a document created by a counselor and the student that maps out which courses the student will need to take to achieve the student's academic goal(s). Students who have a cSEP on file with the Counseling Department receive a bump in their registration priority.

All interested students may stop by the Counseling Department in Building 7, third floor on the Fremont campus or may call (510) 659-6110 to make an appointment or obtain more information. Students may also make a counseling appointment online. Appointments are 30 minutes in length and students are asked to have realistic expectations about what can be accomplished in this time.

Students can learn more about specific counselors by visiting the Counseling website or by speaking to the Counseling staff.

Ohlone College also has counselors to work with Deaf, learning disabled, and disabled students. In addition, bilingual counselors may be available to work with non-native English speakers (or ESL) students.

Services for Re-entry Adults

All counselors are sensitive to the special needs of the mature student who may be reentering the educational system. Ohlone College offers a wide range of programs and services relating to academic, career, and personal needs.