Immediate Action – What Should I do

Tips for Immediate Response if You Are A Victim Of Sexual Assault or Other Sex Crime:

  • GET to a safe place 
  • CONTACT the Campus Police Services, Safety and Security Department at (510) 659-6111 or call your local authorities by dialing 911 (9-911 from an on-campus phone) if you decide to report the crime or call a friend or family member if you are not sure you want to report the crime. Ohlone encourages you to report the crime, but it is your decision whether to report. 
  • DO NOT shower, bathe, douche, change or destroy clothing
  • DO NOT straighten up or clean the area where the assault took place
  • SEEK medical attention. Go to a hospital emergency department for medical care. This can be done without police intervention, if that is your choice.
  • SEEK emotional support from: 
  • local Rape Crisis and Referral Center (408) 287-3000
  • BAWAR (Bay Area Women Against Rape): 24-Hour Hotline, English and Spanish: (510) 845-7273  
  • SAVE (domestic violence) (24-Hour Hotline): (510) 794-6055
  • San Francisco Women Against Rape (24-Hour Hotline): (415) 647-7273
  • RAINN (Rape and Incest National Network) (allows you to search by state and/or zip code in order to find the rape crisis center nearest you.) (800) 656 -HOPE (4673) 
  • Ohlone Student Health Center Building 7, Room 7302, (510) 659-6258.

Remember you are the victim. You did nothing wrong. You have nothing to feel guilty or ashamed about. Medical staff, police, and others at Ohlone are here to help and support you. We are here to listen and/or take action, depending on your decisions and requests. 

Additional information and resources are included in the Ohlone Annual Safety Report.

What are my options

Options if You Are A Victim Of Sexual Assault or Other Sex Crime:

Reporting Options and Right Not to Report 

As soon as possible, if the victim decides to report the crime, the victim of a sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or other sex crime should report the incident to Campus Police Services at (510) 659- 6111 (or 9-911 from an on-campus phone), the local police department, or any faculty or staff member, including a counselor or Student Health Center employee. The victim has the option to: 
(1) Notify proper law enforcement authorities, including on-campus and local police;
(2) Be assisted by campus authorities in notifying law enforcement authorities if the victim so chooses; and
(3) Decline to notify such authorities. 

Reporting Crime 

Victims of sexual assault may report the crime to any Ohlone faculty, staff, or administrator, but the Campus Police Services office should be notified as soon as possible so that steps can be taken to try to prevent a similar incident. Victims or witnesses to crimes should report crimes, so steps can be taken to protect others. 

Sexual assault and other sexual crimes are unlawful, regardless of whether committed by a stranger or a non-stranger. Even if you have consented to sex on prior occasions, if you did not consent this time, you can report the nonconsensual behavior. Every effort will be made to criminally prosecute perpetrators of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking, but the final decision as to whether to criminally prosecute is made by the District Attorney’s Office. Ohlone will support you if you want to report to the police or if you decide you do not want to involve the police.

Confidentiality of Reporter’s Information 

Ohlone will protect the confidentiality of victims and other necessary parties (Cal. Penal Code §293), to include the following: (A) Complete publicly available recordkeeping, including Clery Act reporting and disclosures, without the inclusion of personally identifying information about the victim and (B) Maintain as confidential any accommodations or protective measures provided to the victim, to the extent that maintaining such confidentiality would not impair Ohlone’s ability to provide the accommodations or protective measures. (34 CFR §668.46(b)). 

Personally identifying information means individually identifying information for or about an individual including information likely to disclose the location of a victim of domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, or stalking, regardless of whether the information is encoded, encrypted, hashed, or otherwise protected, including: (A) a first and last name; (B) a home or other physical address; (C) contact information (including a postal, e-mail or Internet protocol address, or telephone or facsimile number); (D) a social security number, driver license number, passport number, or student identification number; and (E) any other information, including date of birth, racial or ethnic background, or religious affiliation, that would serve to identify any individual. (34 U.S.C. 12291(a)(20).) 

Preserving Evidence 

The victim should make every attempt to preserve any physical or other evidence of the crime to assist in proving the crime and/or to assist in obtaining a protective or restraining order. This may include a voluntary medical exam, not showering, and not disposing of any damaged clothing or other items that are present after/during the assault. Victims are encouraged to call any law enforcement agency by dialing 911 (or 9-911 from an on-campus phone) after a sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, or other sex offenses for a crime investigation, referral or transport for medical treatment, and referral to crisis counseling and legal advocacy. 

Identification or Location of Witnesses

The victim should make every attempt to name or describe the physical description and/or location of witnesses to the crime when reporting a crime or when seeking support and assistance in case the victim later decides to involve police.

Restraining Orders 

The victim can seek a temporary restraining order or protective order in court. Agencies that provide support services may assist with seeking Temporary Restraining Orders. CPS can answer basic questions about the process and court location, but cannot provide legal advice. 

Disciplinary Procedures Against Student and Employee Perpetrators 

Ohlone has procedures for disciplinary actions against a student or employee perpetrator accused of dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking and other sex offenses. Disciplinary actions may be imposed on individual students, student organizations and/or any Ohlone faculty or staff responsible for a sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking and other sex offenses. Ohlone sanctions following procedures, including a fair grievance process hearing, depend on the outcome and may range from reprimand to expulsion for students and from reprimand to termination for an employee. 

Right to Request Changes to Work or Academic Situations and Schedules 

If a victim requests changes to an academic or working situation such as a class or work schedule and the requested changes are reasonably available, Ohlone will change a victim’s academic or working situation after an alleged sex offense. Ohlone provides a written notification to victims about options for, available assistance in, and how to request changes to academic, living, transportation, and working situations or protective measures. Click here to view Rights of the Accused. Ohlone will make such accommodations or provide such protective measures if the victim requests them and if they are reasonably available, regardless of whether the victim chooses to report the crime to campus police or local law enforcement. Ohlone will discuss with the victim options for those changes. Employees should contact Human Resources at (510) 659-6088, and students should contact the Student Health Center at (510) 659-6258 or Student Services at (510) 659-6262. Information on transitional housing is available from SAVE at (510) 794-6055. 

Notice of Rights to Victims 

When a student or employee reports to Ohlone that the student or employee has been a victim of dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking, whether the offense occurred on or off campus, Ohlone provides the student or employee a written explanation of the student's or employee's rights and options. 

Employees should contact Human Resources at (510) 659-6088, and students should contact the Student Health Center at (510) 659-6258, or Student Services in Building 7, third floor, at (510) 659- 6262. 

Additional information and resources are included in the Annual Safety Report.