Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT) to the California State University System

Associate Degree for Transfer - A Degree with a Guarantee.In September 2010, California passed the Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act (SB 1440). The law requires community colleges confer select associate degrees to students who have applied for graduation and met defined degree requirements. Eligible students are guaranteed admission to the California State University (CSU) system and provided priority consideration for programs deemed similar to the associate degree major.

What are the defined eligibility requirements?

To be eligible for an "Associate Degree for Transfer" (ADT) (Associate in Arts for Transfer or Associate in Science for Transfer), students must complete the following:

  • 60 CSU transferable units
  • CSU GE Breadth or IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum)
  • A major or area of emphasis consisting of at least 18 CSU transferable units, as defined by the CCC
  • Minimum 2.0 grade point average (GPA)

No additional local graduation requirements can be imposed by the community college and, upon transfer, the student would be admitted to the CSU with junior standing. Additionally, for majors requiring 120 semester units, the CSU cannot require students to complete more than 60 additional units after transfer.

What benefits does this program/pathway provide students who apply to the CSU and graduate with an Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT)?

  • Students would be leaving the community college with a degree beyond their high school diploma, GED, or CHSPE.
  • Provides one set of major preparation coursework for the student to follow, rather than considering each CSU campus individually. This is particularly beneficial for campuses where no articulation has been established.
  • Certain guarantees: admission to the CSU system (not a particular campus); admission with junior standing; no more than 60 additional units after transfer

What if one or more of the CSU campuses the student applied to are impacted, or the major is impacted at one or more CSU campuses?

The associate degree for transfer guarantees admission to the CSU system, not a particular campus or major. Despite this, however, the student is given priority admission consideration above other community college transfer student applicants, except those who have signed a transfer admission guarantee. For more information, ask your Ohlone College counselor or a CSU representative.

Which majors have been approved at Ohlone?

As of Fall 2019, the following majors have been approved as our Associate Degrees for Transfer through the California Community Colleges Chancellor's Office.

These majors are:

  1. Administration of Justice for Transfer
  2. Anthropology for Transfer
  3. Art History for Transfer
  4. Biology for Transfer
  5. Business Administration for Transfer
  6. Communication Studies for Transfer
  7. Computer Science for Transfer
  8. Early Childhood Education for Transfer
  9. Economics for Transfer
  10. English for Transfer
  11. Film, Television, and Electronic Media for Transfer
  12. Geography for Transfer
  13. Geology for Transfer
  14. Global Studies for Transfer
  15. History for Transfer
  16. Journalism for Transfer
  17. Kinesiology for Transfer
  18. Mathematics for Transfer
  19. Music for Transfer
  20. Philosophy for Transfer
  21. Physics for Transfer
  22. Political Science for Transfer
  23. Psychology for Transfer
  24. Sociology for Transfer
  25. Social Justice Studies for Transfer
  26. Spanish for Transfer
  27. Studio Arts for Transfer
  28. Theatre Arts for Transfer

Additional ADT degrees are being considered by Ohlone faculty.

Where can I find out which CSU majors are considered similar?

When admitted to a specific CSU campus, the applicants following this program will be admitted to a major previously determined to be "similar". To identify what major is considered similar at the CSU campuses you are considering, please consult your Ohlone College counselor or a CSU representative.

Where can I find additional information?

The Associate Degree for Transfer website by CSU has some good information!