Ohlone College hires tutors for three types of tutoring positions. Embedded, Center and Expert Tutors.
- Embedded Tutors work with a specific class and its instructor to serve the needs of students in that particular course. Tutors attend regularly schedule classes and assist instructors with in-class work. They also hold group study sessions outside of class on a weekly basis.
- Center Tutors assist students in one of the tutoring centers by appointment or drop-in.
- Expert Tutors are specialists who tutor the highest levels of STEM courses in one of the tutoring centers. Tutoring assistance is done via drop-in or by appointments.
Requirements to become an embedded tutor or a center tutor
Applicants must meet all four requirements to work as a tutor:
- Applicants must be eligible to legally work in the U.S. (International students are encouraged to apply but first must meet immigration visa requirements to be employed.)
- Applicants must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Ohlone College (International students must be enrolled in at least 12 units). It is not mandatory that these units be in the subject area the student will tutor.
- Applicants who are already working at an "on-campus" job are allowed to work a combined maximum of 20 hours per week and hold no more than two positions. Total all hours worked per week for all "on-campus" jobs to determine eligibility. For example, if you already work on campus for 10 hours per week, then you can only work a maximum of another 10 hours per week in any lab.
- Applicants wishing to become a tutor must have received a grade of an A or B in the subject in which they will be tutoring and maintain a 3.0 overall Grade Point Average (GPA).
Do you not meet all these criteria and would still like to be a tutor? If so, volunteers are always welcome. Volunteers must, however, successfully meet criteria #4 to be eligible. Non-resident visa holders may or may not be eligible to work as a volunteer depending on the type of visa they hold.
Requirements to become an expert tutor
Applicants must meet all of the following requirements:
- Applicants must be eligible to legally work in the U.S.
- Applicants do not need to be currently enrolled Ohlone students.
- Applicants must show proof of successful course work in the highest levels of courses offered by Ohlone College in engineering, math, and physics.
- Applicants wishing to become a tutor must have received a grade of an A or B in the subject areas in which they will be tutoring.
If you are interested in becoming a tutor, contact the staff in the appropriate learning center. See the Subject-specific Tutoring list for links to each center/lab.
Ohlone College offers tutor certification developed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). While certification is not required to become a tutor at Ohlone College, hundreds of colleges require CRLA certification to work as a tutor. Ohlone College offers all three levels of certification. Level 1 (Certified Tutor), Level 2 (Advanced Certified Tutor), Level 3 (Master Certified Tutor).