Serving as a Tutor

Ohlone College hires tutors for two types of tutoring positions. Embedded and Center Tutors. No experience in tutoring is required. The program also offers tutor training.

  • Embedded Tutors work with a specific class and its instructor to serve the needs of students in that particular course. Tutors attend regularly schedule classes and assist instructors with in-class work. They also hold group study sessions outside of class on a weekly basis.
  • Center Tutors assist students in one of the tutoring centers by appointment or drop-in.

Requirements to become an embedded tutor or a center tutor

Applicants must meet all four requirements to work as a tutor:

  1. Applicants must be eligible to legally work in the U.S. (International students are encouraged to apply but first must meet immigration visa requirements to be employed.)
  2. Applicants must be currently enrolled in a minimum of 6 units at Ohlone College (International students must be enrolled in at least 12 units). It is not mandatory that these units be in the subject area the student will tutor.
  3. Applicants who are already working at an "on-campus" job are allowed to work a combined maximum of 20 hours per week and hold no more than two positions. Total all hours worked per week for all "on-campus" jobs to determine eligibility. For example, if you already work on campus for 10 hours per week, then you can only work a maximum of another 10 hours per week in any lab.
  4. Applicants wishing to become a tutor must have received a grade of an A or B in the subject in which they will be tutoring and maintain a 3.0 overall Grade Point Average (GPA).

Do you not meet all these criteria and would still like to be a tutor? If so, volunteers are always welcome. Volunteers must, however, successfully meet criteria #4 to be eligible. Non-resident visa holders may or may not be eligible to work as a volunteer depending on the type of visa they hold.

If you are interested in becoming a tutor, please click on the button below to fill out the application form.

Tutor Training

Ohlone College offers tutor certification developed by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA).

Ohlone College offers two levels of certification. Level 1 (Certified Tutor) and Level 2 (Advanced Certified Tutor), 

To find out more about CRLA tutor certification at Ohlone College, contact

Director of Tutoring Services, Brotati Guha. Email: