Student Veterans will continue to receive their GI Bill® benefits under S. 3503, which President Trump signed into law March 21.
The law enables VA to continue providing the same level of education benefits to students having to take courses online due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.
The law gives VA temporary authority to continue GI Bill® payments uninterrupted in the event of national emergencies. This allows for continued payment of benefits even if the program has changed from resident training to online training.
Thanks to the law, Post 9/11 students will continue receiving the same monthly housing allowance (MHA) payments when enrolling residency courses converted to online modality to meet resident training requirement until Dec. 21, 2021 or until the school resumes in-person classes.
Most classes offered in Spring 2021/Summer 2021 will be taken online. Since Post 9/11 students who enroll full time are required to have at least one approved class taken on campus to receive full BAH , it is important to understand the meaning of the location for each course to ensure you register in at least one residency course .
- Any residency courses converted to online modality will be listed as "...online, HYBD (Room Zoom)...", where you have actual meeting times and days through Zoom.
- If the classes are listed as either Fremont/Newark Campus, they are really meeting on-campus.
- Online classes will be listed as "...Room Web..."
Updates will be provided to students via direct email campaigns and social media regarding VA’s effort to implement these new changes.
Students with specific questions can contact the Education Call Center at: 888-442-4551 between 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Priority Registration for Veterans, Active Duty, and Reservists for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021:
April 26, 2021
Note: Be sure to monitor your student portal for updates on the exact day you will be able to register and be on the lookout for notification from the admissions department.
Ohlone Veteran Affairs Office Overview
The Veterans Affairs Administration is authorized by law to provide a wide range of benefits to those who have served their country in the Armed Forces and to their dependents. The Ohlone College Veterans Affairs Office is primarily responsible for administration of veteran educational benefits programs.
Services provided to veterans and veteran dependents at Ohlone College include:
- Assist in completion of VA educational assistance forms.
- Act as liaison between the VA, Oakland; VA, Muskogee, Oklahoma; and the veteran.
- Act as liaison between veterans and the Ohlone College Counseling Department.
- Verify student's academic records for veterans' academic progress and military credit.
- Provide information regarding VA laws, regulations and College policy.
- Provide special assistance to Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation students including priority registration and assistance with special needs.
- Act as liaison between veterans and Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Department.
For additional information about financial aid and scholarships, please visit the Financial Aid Office.
Training Resource for Faculty and Staff
We encourage veterans attending Ohlone College to contact our office in person, by phone, or by email with any questions pertaining to their education, or any of their VA Educational Benefits.
- Room 7249, Building 7, second floor, Fremont campus
- Fall and Spring Semesters and Summer Term
- Monday - Thursday:
- 9:00am - 11:30am
- 1:00pm - 4:00pm
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Holidays and Breaks: Closed
- Monday - Thursday:
It is recommended that students call or make an appointment in advance before coming in. For new students: Please make an appointment in advance by calling (510) 659-6199 or emailing email@example.com.
(Schedule is subject to change without notice.)
Staff for Veterans Affairs
- California Community Colleges: Troops to College
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- Go Grad - Paying for Graduate School for Military Veterans
- Returning Active Duty Service Members
- Today's GI Bill®
- VA Facilities Locator & Directory
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System
- Veterans Benefits and Services: Education Benefits: GI Bill®
- CalVet Women Veterans Roster
- Swords to Plowshares
- Women Veterans
- Women Veterans Connect
- Women Veterans Healthcare
“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.”