Section 1018 The Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires educational institutions to make certain disclosures to students using federal military and/or VA education benefits. Students can access the estimated cost by visiting the College Navigator-National Center for Education Statistics. Further infomration on costs, academic requirements, services available to students and more can be found on our consumer information sheet.
Financial Aid: Students using veteran education benefits are encouraged to apply for financial aid online at www.fafsa.ed.gov to be considered for federal, state, and institution grants as well as scholarships. Ohlone School Code is 004481. Students can request for a Professional Judgement appeal if there is a reduction in income due to COVID or circumstances beyond students’ control.
Student should also check the College Financing Plan on Financial Aid Check List (WebAdvisor) for information regarding financial aid package and contact Financial Aid Office at 510-659-6150 for further assistance.
T&F OVERPAYMENT: Section 1019 of Public Law 116-315: Starting Spring 2021, the school is liable to return any overpayment in Tuition and Fees due to the reduction in the students’ credits, instead of the student, within the established timeframe. The payment may be more than, less than, or equal to the amount crediting to the student’s account based on the school’s refund policy. The institution has the right to bill the student’s account if the debt is more than the credit balance the student currently has and a notification will be sent to the student regarding the charge. It is student’s responsibility to make a payment in a timely manner.
ROUNDING OUT will be phased out for terms beginning August 1, 2021. Rounding out refers to when a student could round out the schedule with non-required courses to bring up his/her course load to full time in the last semester before graduation to receive the full benefit.
SPECIAL COVID RULES extended to December 21, 2021 or until the school resumes in-person classes. With the passage of H.R.8337 - Continuing Appropriations Act, 2021 and Other Extensions Act, the special COVID rules have been extended. Post 9/11 GI Bill® students who pursue resident courses converted to an online modality solely due to COVID 19 will continue to receive the MHA rate for resident training.
Most classes offered in Spring 2021/Summer 2021 will be taken online. Since Post 9/11 students who enroll full time are required to have at least one approved class taken on campus to receive full BAH, it is important to understand the meaning of the location for each course to ensure you register in at least one residency course .
- Any residency courses converted to online modality will be listed as "...online, HYBD (Room Zoom)...", where you have actual meeting times and days through Zoom.
- If the classes are listed as either Fremont/Newark Campus, they are really meeting on-campus.
- Online classes will be listed as "...Room Web..."
Please see VA's COVID 19 FAQs webpage for more details
Students with specific questions can contact the Education Call Center at: 888-442-4551 between 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday-Friday.
Priority Registration for Veterans, Active Duty, and Reservists for Summer 2021 and Fall 2021:
April 26, 2021
Note: Be sure to monitor your student portal for updates on the exact day you will be able to register and be on the lookout for notification from the admissions department.
Ohlone Veteran Affairs Office Overview
The Veterans Affairs Administration is authorized by law to provide a wide range of benefits to those who have served their country in the Armed Forces and to their dependents. The Ohlone College Veterans Affairs Office is primarily responsible for administration of veteran educational benefits programs.
Services provided to veterans and veteran dependents at Ohlone College include:
- Assist in completion of VA educational assistance forms.
- Act as liaison between the VA, Oakland; VA, Muskogee, Oklahoma; and the veteran.
- Act as liaison between veterans and the Ohlone College Counseling Department.
- Verify student's academic records for veterans' academic progress and military credit.
- Provide information regarding VA laws, regulations and College policy.
- Provide special assistance to Veteran Vocational Rehabilitation students including priority registration and assistance with special needs.
- Act as liaison between veterans and Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Department.
For additional information about financial aid and scholarships, please visit the Financial Aid Office.
Training Resource for Faculty and Staff
We encourage veterans attending Ohlone College to contact our office in person, by phone, or by email with any questions pertaining to their education, or any of their VA Educational Benefits.
- Room 7249, Building 7, second floor, Fremont campus
- Fall and Spring Semesters and Summer Term
- Monday - Thursday:
- 9:00am - 11:30am
- 1:00pm - 4:00pm
- Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Holidays and Breaks: Closed
- Monday - Thursday:
It is recommended that students call or make an appointment in advance before coming in. For new students: Please make an appointment in advance by calling (510) 659-6199 or emailing email@example.com.
(Schedule is subject to change without notice.)
Staff for Veterans Affairs
- California Community Colleges: Troops to College
- California Department of Veterans Affairs
- Go Grad - Paying for Graduate School for Military Veterans
- Returning Active Duty Service Members
- Today's GI Bill®
- VA Facilities Locator & Directory
- VA Palo Alto Health Care System
- Veterans Benefits and Services: Education Benefits: GI Bill®
- CalVet Women Veterans Roster
- Swords to Plowshares
- Women Veterans
- Women Veterans Connect
- Women Veterans Healthcare
“GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.”